XLII

Remus nearly choked, "What?"
"We were hoping that you'd join us on a mission." Arthur repeated, "Doing a bit of spying and infiltrating on Malfoy Manor and the LeStranges home."
"Arthur, you of all people should know exactly why I can't do that. Molly must've told you something."
"Indeed she did tell me," Arthur raised an eyebrow, "The choice is still yours to make."
Remus could've laughed at Kingsley and the rest of the others' utterly confused faces, "I can't, Arthur."
Kingsley looked suspicious, "Would either of you care to explain?"

Remus wasn't sure if this was exactly the right time to tell people. It wasn't his decision to tell people either. The choice of who to tell would be his wife's. And out of all the people in this room, he only truly trusted Kingsley and Arthur, whom he'd known very well. He bit his lip and made his way to the kitchen, signaling Arthur and Kingsley to follow.

"Tonks is..." Remus wasn't sure exactly how to word it, "expecting."
Kingsley's eyes were wide, "Really? Congratulations, you two."
Arthur only smiled like he'd known the entire time, "Congrats. But remember, just do what she wants and completely agree with her. It's better for you and the baby."

Remus laughed. Arthur must have had several years of experience with that. They left the kitchen.

"But are you absolutely and utterly sure you won't accompany us?" Kingsley asked one last time.
"Kingsley, do you really think I'm going to leave my wife in her most vulnerable time and during the most dangerous of wars? My answer is no and that is final." he answered with a air of finality and somewhat frustration.

They bade him goodbye. He waved them off. He heard a sleepy and quite voice from the doorway of the bedroom.

"Remus?" his wife yawned, rubbing her eyes, "Who was here?"
"Just Arthur and Kingsley." he watched her carefully, knowing she'd trip over something, "You can go back to bed if you'd like."
"Mm," she must've smelled the bacon he was making earlier, "Did you make breakfast?"
"It's not done yet but—"
"I'll stay up. I'm hungry anyway."

Dora must've gone to the bathroom before coming into the kitchen. She sat down at the kitchen table, tiredly rubbing her eyes. He placed a plate of bacon and pancakes in front of her. She seemed to perk up at the scent of warm food. Her brown eyes were alight with hunger and interest.

"Thank you."

He sat down with his own food in front of her. She looked up and smiled. He was so glad to see her smile. A beam of happiness in the dark world. The world was undeserving of someone as lovely as she.

She blew a few strands of hair out of her face. Dora had started washing the plates and utensils. He'd walked out for a moments to put his wand somewhere safer and came back to see her working, struggling and failing to scrub the grime off of a plate.

"Dora, you don't have to do that."
"I'm pregnant, not dying or anything. Let me clean, I feel bad you're doing all this work."

He smiled and picked up the other plate she'd finished and dried it off, then put it away. Once she'd finished washing a plate, he'd dry it and put it away. They finished faster than they usually did.

"Anything we should do today?" she asked, "We could go shopping for food and stuff. I doubt anyone will notice the difference. You can't tell unless you really look."

She was right. Sure, the little baby bump was a but more noticeable now that it was a week or two before, but you couldn't really tell unless you looked hard enough. They'd been trying to keep the baby a secret. Times weren't safe. He sighed and kissed her forehead.

"Unless you just want to stay home today."
"It'd be nice but we don't have much food."
"Alright. And please tell me you know how to use Muggle money."
"Yes, but not well."

And shopping they went. Dora struggled with the Muggle money. There wasn't exactly a wizarding grocery store or anything so they went to a muggle one instead. Remus had no idea what it was called. His wife said it was where her father bought food from whenever they needed it. Andromeda nor Ted were skilled with Herbology so it was harder to grow food. Dora, one the other hand, was wonderful at growing and knew how to use potions right. They had to buy other essentials, though.

They crashed at home with bags of food and supplies in their hands. Remus didn't want her to carry much, but his wife insisted.

This routine was soon to become weekly. Going out for food and then coming back home. For the past week, he'd suffered mood swings, extra tiredness and constant runs to the bathroom from his wife. She'd started crying over the fate of a character in one of the books she was reading. So far, it's been about two months since they were married.

They'd decided to come clean to Andromeda and apparated there. His mother in law didn't seem to be expecting them, but opened the door with the broadest smile. She hugged her daughter tightly and hugged him as well before letting them inside. This was one of the times he'd seen his mother in law smile.

"So Dora, Remus, any reason for today's visit?" she asked, beginning to make some tea.
His wife smiled, positively glowing with excitement, "Mom, Remus and I..." she began glancing at him to continue.
"Having a baby" he finished proudly, his tone joyful with happiness.

Andromeda smiled, but it didn't seem to reach her eyes for the first few seconds. Did she suffer the same doubts he did in the beginning? Did she think that her daughter was insane for getting pregnant in the middle of a war? Soon, the smile reached her eyes and she embraced her daughter once more.

"That's wonderful, darlings!" she exclaimed, "How long?"
"About two months now." Dora answered, hope evident in her voice.
"And you waited this long?"
"Yes..." he finished nervously.

Andromeda laughed and they joined her, just being happy in the moment. She kept asking Dora how she'd felt and given them both tips on parenthood. His wife only replied that she was absolutely fine. Remus had gladly taken his mother in law's advice.

He grinned as they walked home.

"Who's left to tell?" his wife asked jokingly.
Remus thought for a moment, "Hm, the rest of the Order..."
"They can wait."
He grimaced, "I kind of had to tell Arthur and Kingsley this morning."
"Oh?"
"Don't do that, I know Molly already knows because you asked her about your 'illness'."

She laughed, her eyes alight with twinkles and gentle sparkles. He joined her. After a little while of indecisiveness, they decided to spend the rest of the day at home, just enjoying each other's company.