LV

Remus sat up in the middle of the night, waking up to his son's crying. He'd just been born yesterday, but had the lungs to wail and scream like a banshee. He glanced down at his wife, smiling with a tired grin. Then raced off to comfort his son.

Remus crept over to him in the dark, hoping not to make any noise. Teddy's little face was red with tears streaming down. As soon as Remus picked him up, he still cried, but wasn't screeching as loudly. Teddy was squirming in his arms, looking up at his father in wonder and amazement. His hair had changed from a blond to a dark brown in a matter of moments, Remus would have laughed if not for his wife sleeping ever so peacefully in the next room.

He held in the way babies were supposed to be held. Teddy was gently held against Remus' chest. Support at the neck, holding up the head. Other hand at the butt, supporting the baby in general. He beamed, feeling proud that he'd known all these things from babysitting Harry as a baby. Soon, he shifted position. Remus was always so afraid of holding Teddy. Such a tiny and innocent little thing. He could never live with hurting a delicate child, born less than a week ago. Dora had nearly shoved his son into his arms, Remus trembled in those first few moments.

"Shh." he cooed, hoping to calm the child in his arms, back to sleep, "You shouldn't wake up Mummy."
"Mummy's already awake." came a sweet and gentle voice from the doorway.

There stood his wife in her nightgown, furiously rubbing her eye. It must've been around two in the morning. Dora strode over to them, stumbling a few times. Unfortunately, this time he couldn't catch her for fear of dropping the day old baby.

"I'm sorry, love. Did I wake you?" he asked, looking at Dora in confusion.
She dismissively waved a hand, "No, not at all. I heard Teddy crying too."

Teddy gurgled in Remus' arms, as if laughing. He waved his fists in the air, as if reaching for his mother. Dora came and took him from his arms. Remus smiled at the sight of his lovely wife holding their wonderful son, smiling all the same. He couldn't help but acknowledge the warm feeling that flooded his chest, giving him so much pride and happiness.

"Are you hungry, honey?" she asked Teddy, gentleness and care filling her voice. His small whimpers gave them both an answer.

They moved back to the bedroom, holding Teddy in their arms. Dora sat down and leaned against the bed frame, nursing their day old son. Remus stood in the doorway, waiting to take Teddy back to his crib.

Remus wished he was able to feed Teddy and not have to wake his wife every time his son was hungry. She was recovering from labor and they both needed the rest.

Teddy happily fell asleep in Dora's arms while she cradled him. Remus quickly and quietly picked him up to move him back to the crib. He cradled and watched him, for just a moment.

How could he, a monstrous and horrifying creature, help create something so precious and beautiful? Such a sweet and fragile little thing. As he watched, Remus realized that he was going to protect his child, even if it took his life. Voldemort's reign of terror wouldn't end until Harry defeated him. If Harry and his friends didn't succeed, where would that leave the rest of them?

His small family would be hunted down and exterminated. There was a possibility that they could run away and get to safety. Leave the country and give up the wizarding world for a while. But that would be impossible, considering his furry little problem and Teddy and Dora's abilities.

Teddy shuffled in Remus' arms, the very hint of a smile on his little face. No longer crying or red, his son's face was peaceful and adorable. Remus just couldn't put him down. The again, he did want some sleep. Remus set his son down in the bare crib. It was healthiest if there weren't any blankets, toys or pillows. He beamed and glanced one last time, then left.

When he returned, Dora was asleep, back under the covers like she'd been there all evening. He slid in next her, praying he didn't wake her up.

"Remus?" his name a whisper from his wife.
"Yes?"
"Is he asleep?"
"Yes, my love."

She turned around to face him, then leaned in to give him a kiss, "Thank you."
"I hardly did anything, Dora."
"But you did something."
"I won't argue with you tonight."

He heard her sigh happily, and turn away. They fell asleep like they always did, his arms wrapped around her waist, making him feel like he was given a purpose, to protect his family. He fell asleep hearing Dora's gentle snores.

Surprisingly, he woke up alone the next morning. Remus frantically sat up, looking around for his wife. Did something happen to her? And Teddy? Are they okay? His heart raced with worry.

He heard happy gurgles and giggles from the living room and had to investigate. He crept out of bed and moved to the living room slowly. In an instant, a calm feeling took over him as he spotted his wife playing with their two day old son.

Dora was making her hair turn several different colors while she held Teddy on her lap. He kept reaching out to tug her hair, but she wouldn't let him. Instead, Teddy tried matching the hair color.

"I didn't think he'd grasp the idea of color this soon." he said softly, smiling.
She looked up, laughing, "It's not so much as to grasp the concept of color, more I want to look like Mummy."

He laughed and watched as his wife made funny faces or make parts of her face look unusual and absurd. Teddy's giggles make him smile. He sat down next to the pair of them, his wand in hand. Remus stood to make little shapes and wisps of magic appear, while Teddy looked up in amazement. Dora beamed, holding their son to make sure he wouldn't crawl off her lap.

And for the first time since Teddy's birth, Remus didn't hate himself wholly and completely.

Hey what's up everyone! Almost forgot that today was publishing day. What'd you think of the chapter? Thanks to everyone voting and commenting on the story. I LOVE talking with you guys, YOU'RE AWESOME.

Question of the chapter:
How about just some Tonks and Lupin headcanons you have.

Love you all,
Abby