XXXVI

Remus' eyes widened. He glanced at his glaring wife nervously and rubbed the back of his neck. Her expression softened in a moment and the fire in her eyes dimmed little, knowing the inevitable truth. She probably realized what he was thinking. The Minister of Magic visiting the Burrow. The new anti-werewolf acts. Their wands would be snapped. Dora would never find a job again. They wouldn't even be able to leave their home. How much worse would it be for the Weasley family? They were already labeled as Blood-Traitors, it'd be worse if society found out they were around a werewolf.

Remus looked at Dora sadly. Everything was always worse for her. She didn't look at him, only twirling her wand in her hands. He felt terrible. The atmosphere turned cold the moment she seemed sad. It was all his fault. He was the only one to blame. If only he was normal. If only he had a job.

The had begun. He wasn't going to leave her side now. Even if he had nothing to give her. Remus sat down next to his wife.

"And the cake looked delicious." she sighed, "Oh well." Dora ran her hands through his hair, "Why do you have so many gray streaks? Am I that exhausting to be around?"

He laughed, enjoying her quirky comments. His doubts drifted away and his thoughts filled with the sound of laughter and her smile. He couldn't take that smile away. That beautiful warm smile. Her chocolate eyes sparkled in the light. He wouldn't be able to stand seeing that light leave.

Out of nowhere, Dora asks, "Do we have cookie dough?"
Remus was a bit shocked by this, "Cookie dough? Uh... maybe?"
"Helpful. Can you go check, please?"
"Of course."
"Love you."
"Love you too!" he shouted from the kitchen as he rummaged through the refrigerator, looking for a container of cookie dough.

Remus pushed aside foods and containers. Good news. He did find a container of cookie dough. Bad news. It didn't have much cookie dough. He grabbed the container and brought it to the living room. How the heck did they not have maple syrup, but they had cookie dough?

"We have a little bit, it's enough for a small batch." he said, opening the container and peeking inside.
"Great!" she grinned, "Let's get baking."

He pulled her up off the couch. A series of repeated frantic knocks sounded at the door. Dora studied it curiously. Remus pulled his wand out of his back pocket and opened the door slowly.

A young woman stood at the door, a child in her arms. Tears streamed down both of their faces. She spotted his wand, her face flooded with relief and she beamed desperately.

"Oh thank goodness. Please can you let us in? Please. My husband..." the lady began to cry.

Dora somehow appeared next to him, glancing at the girl with pity. He heard the sounds of whooshing in the distance. Laughter. Curses flickered through the sky. Dora's eyes widened and they pulled him aside to let the woman and child inside. Remus shut the door.

Remus raised his wand slowly, as Dora glared at him, "What's your name?"
"Thank you so much, I didn't know where to go." the woman talked fast, "The Ministry... they killed him. My husband. Because we're muggle-borns. My name is Angela. Angela Miller. My son, Jacob. I knew you both were wizards because I'd seen you both apparate to and from somewhere. And I hoped that this was safe."
Remus glanced at his wife, she smiled, "Of course, this is safe."

His wife eagerly talked with the young witch. Remus began to pray the lady wouldn't recognize him from the Daily Prophet. It'd been years, but it hadn't seemed to die down. Thankfully, tonight wasn't one of those nights.

They quickly fixed the house up and let Angela and her son stay until it was safe to head back home (which thankfully was only a few hours). She seemed ever so grateful, and even though Remus knew his wife would never admit it, she was going to miss playing with the child.