XLV

It was time for him to go. Dora rather he didn't have to leave at all, but it was for safety reasons. She wished she could've made a wolfsbane potion to save him the tiredness and pain after the transformation, but she didn't have the ingredients and was not allowed to raid the Hogwarts potion room. He glanced at her sadly as she handed him his robes.

That look. The look he gave her. His eyes were a beautiful mix of hazel, amber, and green and seemed to shift color every so often. The eyes that captivated her from the moment she saw them. The sorrow and pain they held. But happiness and joy that they were filled with when they looked at her.

Her heart was heavy with dread, pity, and unhappiness. His thumb brushed against her cheek lightly, as a comfort to her. She felt heat rise to her cheeks at his touch. Remus bent down to give her a quick kiss on the lips, but an impulse told her to make it last. It could be their last kiss for all they knew. Death was inevitable and who knew what could happen to either of them.

"I'm sorry." she quickly apologized after pulling away.
Remus cupped her face in his hands. "Whatever for, my love?" he smiled softly. An everlasting smile that was warm like a flame from a candle.
"You have to leave." she stated sadly and bluntly, "I love you."
As if it were a competition, he answered with a grin, "I love you more."
"Come back to me. To us."
"Always." he quickly kissed her again, and this time, she let him go. Dora's eyes followed his running figure in the night. She felt a comforting hand on her shoulder. Molly.

She thought back to when they went shopping for food and things. People treated them ever so normally. A few people had sent them smiles when they hugged or kissed. She wished the wizarding world was like that. But of course, the muggles didn't know their secrets, which made all the difference. Outside the Order, if people saw them together, it'd be quite an oddity. A werewolf with a girl. She would look who ever whispered them behind them in the eye and grip her husband's hand ever tighter. He always placed a soft kiss on her forehead afterward because he knew that she was upset somehow.

Molly let Dora stay in Ginny's room, who was at Hogwarts for the school year. Dora was surprised that Molly even let them go this year, because of everything that was happening. She hadn't packed much, just her wand, a spare set of clothes, and books to entertain herself. She laid down, finding comfort from her feet being able to rest.

Dora tossed and turned under the covers. She couldn't sleep and her eyes were wide awake. The chill of not having her husband next to her was surprising and uncomfortable. She felt cold that evening. Which was strange, with it being summertime. She'd given up and stood to pace the room. Her wand lay on a cabinet nearby. She toyed with it between her fingers, fiddling nervously.

Without a word, she casted the patronus charm. A dancing, and shimmering wolf burst from the end of it. The wolf was obviously feminine, which she found quite strange but lovely. She didn't know how she was able to tell. It's playful silver eyes or hopeful twinkle? It helped calm her, and she studied at it, captivated by its movements. She remembered realized it had changed. From a playful jackrabbit to a mature and intelligent she-wolf. So much had changed in her. Dora watched as it danced inside the room. It reminded her of Remus. She felt warmer and comfortable. She knew a part of her husband would never leave her.

Her hand moved almost instinctively to her stomach, which didn't show unless you really looked, but was there none the less. It seemed so hard to believe that a baby, a child was growing there. She smiled. It wouldn't be just any child. It would be her and Remus' child. One of the ultimate and true shows of love and commitment. An act of hope and compassion. A warmth flooded through her at the thought.

Her mind had drifted to meeting at the Order, before they were married. Her, him, and Sirius were close during meetings. And shared a distinct dislike towards Snape and Dolores Umbridge, who was interfering with the Ministry and making life harder for all of them. Dora hated putting up with her trash. The law passed made it impossible for Remus to get a job. (It was hilarious when she heard him talk trash about Umbridge—using extremely colorful adjectives. Remus Lupin was the last person you'd expect to talk like that about a Ministry official.) And Sirius was more wanted than ever.

Sure, she hadn't known them as long as they'd known each other, but she felt as close to them as ever. They'd helped her feel so welcome, though she was one of the youngest and hadn't been there for the first war. Friendship blossomed between all of them, warmer than ever. All of their personalities seemed to fill the room. Sirius would always raise his eyebrows if he caught them sneaking glances at each other. She and Remus would only look away and blush.

It had only occurred to her then that Sirius must've given Remus the whole "it's obvious you like her" talk. She stifled a laugh, not wanting to wake anyone in the Burrow. Sirius' death had only brought them closer. Her heart saddened at the thought of one of her cousins' death. Her mother was heartbroken when she found out—they were always close as two of the disowned relatives of the Black family.

Dora thought back to each and every little banter or tease. Every argument or hug. She never wanted to be treated any different because of her abilities, and never felt that way around her husband. As much as he loved her, he treated her like a human being in a healthy and happy relationship. She hated the constant praise and amazement from those finding out about her abilities. And couldn't stand being asked to changed the way she looked for someone else. She didn't want him doing unnecessary things for her and make her feel better than everyone else, nor did she want someone who'd make her feel like she was nothing. Every little argument they had did not make her like a trophy wife or something less than a person, but someone that was loved and cared for

With these warm thoughts filling her mind, her body finally drifted off to sleep, finding comfort and rest in those memories.

Hey everyone! Sorry the chapters aren't as good as they usually are. I've been doing some revising for the later chapters, and like I mentioned before, is starting high school. Anyway, I hope you liked the chapter.

Hugs and kisses to all,
Abby