XXV

Dora was back at work. Fun wasn't it? Papers and papers and papers. Not much to do for Aurors except hunt down dark witches and wizards. But with these times, there weren't many people you could trust. She had volunteered to organize files on old cases and users of dark magic.

She wasn't shocked to see most of the Black family in the stacks. She'd known that most o them were Death Eaters The living relatives, her two aunts Narcissa and Bellatrix, worked for Voldemort. Her mum was the exception.

"Are you finished yet, dearie?" a squeaky and seemingly tinkly voice said next to her.
Dora sighed, "I would be, if you stopped bothering me, Dolores." she snapped.

Dolores Umbridge, wearing her unfashionably pink work clothes and bow that clashed with her toad shaped face huffed next to Dora, glaring at the young Auror. Kingsley Shacklebolt walked by, setting a few other papers down at her desk.

"Careful," he whispered briskly, "I'd hate to see a good Auror get herself fired."
"I wouldn't be able to get myself fired if she were nicer about the Ministry's policies." she answered, looked at the new papers, "Thanks. More work for me. I suppose I won't be let off early."

She dug through the case files. Nothing really caught her eye. All she was really doing was checking off boxes and signing papers saying that the case was closed, the dark wizard or witch had been captured, and is on trial or locked up in Azkaban. It was a simply boring job for the moment (an Auror's work never used to be this uneventful), but it paid good money and Dora worked hard to keep it.

She took notice of the cool air blowing through her small office through the sounds of ruffling papers and moving quills. Just a singular desk in a hall of many. She noted the voices coming from outside her door. Her untidy office. And the fact that she really needed to dust it. More likely how new pictures began to riddle her desk.

Several of her parents. Many from her years at Hogwarts with Bill and Charlie and quite a few others. Her and friends making silly faces. A few pictures from her Quidditch matches. Others from her first day at work. She managed to have a picture taken its the grumpy Mad-Eye Moody. A few with her coworkers. Now ones from the Order. With the children. With Remus.

Everything had changed so quickly. It seemed only yesterday she was teasing Bill about his crush on a girl. Or making fun of Charlie for being in love with his dragons. It seemed only yesterday she had become an Auror. She'd grown up so fast, her mother would say. Going from an immature prankster to a clumsy and intelligent Auror working in the Ministry.

It was magic.

It's been so long since she's seen her friends again. She could probably write to Charlie, who was in Romania studying dragons. Bill might visit the Burrow. Dora would be able to see him there, wouldn't she?

Of course, that didn't leave much time for fixing her house.

A letter was slipped on her desk, from Mad-Eye. Kingsley also walked by, chuckling at her, seeming pleased by whatever news had come from the letter.

On the white envelope were her name in golden script. Nymphadora Tonks. No wonder Kingsley was laughing. She guessed that these letters had to be handed out personally. The Ministry was intercepting owls. She opened the letter.

Inside sat a slip of paper. She pulled it out, twirling the paper in her fingers before reading it. The news made her smile. A wedding.  For Bill and Fleur. And she was invited to attend. She nearly laughed. If it was Molly planning the wedding, she would've invited the whole of the United Kingdom.

Dora laughed, causing a few coworkers sitting at the desks nearby to look at her. She's get to see everyone again. Since... Dumbledore ... It was a hard thought to bear, a wedding in the middle of a war. Of course, maybe that was the reason. For a day. A minute. Or even a just a moment of happiness and light in this newfound darkness and despair.

~oOo~

Remus stood there nervously as her watched Dora's parents contemplate his request. They'd been such wonderful hosts to him lately, and he didn't want to trouble them any more. But he really did love her. And wished he could spend every moment of his life with her. But that would mean nothing at all if her parents didn't approve.

Dora wouldn't be happy if she didn't see her parents. He wanted to plead and beg at the moment, never feeling so helpless before. The decision laid, not in his hands, but her parents'. The butterflies in his stomach flittered anxiously, waiting for someone to say something.

Andromeda ran a hand though her hair as she stood against the kitchen counter, "You really do love her don't you." she spoke softly, as if not believing what he was asking, "to ask her parents before proposing." She smiled, "And I respect that, Remus. Thank you."

Ted chuckled nearby, "I've never seen her so happy before." he beamed at Remus, hopefully in approval, "'Dromeda...?" he asked his wife in question.
She smiled softly, "I think they deserve all the happiness in the world."
"Is... is that ...?" Remus spoke for the first time in ages, not believing what he was hearing. He didn't finished his sentence.
Ted smiled, his eyes shining, "It is a yes, Remus." he confirmed.

"Thank you so much," Remus didn't know how to express his gratitude, "I solemnly swear to make her the happiest girl in the world." his eyes brimmed with tears.
"Oh, we know that Remus," Andromeda chuckled, "It was... how you say, entertaining seeing you worry yourself over this."

His eyes when wide for a second. Then he smiled, realizing that these people were the parents of Nymphadora Tonks. She must have gotten her prankster attitude from somewhere. Remus wanted to hug them, but they were going to be his new in-laws and he wasn't sure if that would be appropriate.

Remus returned to his parents' home, now broken down and into splinters. Her climbed into one of his old rooms and began digging around for a box. A very special box. A gift from his parents before his mother passed. He heard their soft voices.

"One day," his mother spoke gently, as she was on her death bed, "you're going to settle down and raise a family." she ruffled his hair, "And that's why we're giving this to you."

His father slid a small ring box into his hand, he opened it. Three rings sat inside. Two belonging to his mother. One from his father. Their eyes were filled with tears when he looked him.

"Thank you." he whispered as he kissed his mother's forehead and embraced his father.

His mother died soon after. Remus wasn't sure of this was the moment he'd seen himself or his father cry the most. The year later, his father passed also, leaving Remus without my family except his friends.

He opened the box once more and smiled, knowing his parents would see his wedding day.