XLI

She was only half awake when Remus slid into bed. He must've chosen not to sleep on the couch, she thought sleepily, smart. She didn't realize how much her anger had lessened even since he came back. Her rage no longer boiled over and she felt comfort in the other side of the bed having weight pressing down on it. Sleeping alone had become such a strange concept for her.

Remus must've been half asleep also. She knew he wouldn't have dared to touch her after what he did, but she felt him instinctively wrap his arms around her waist and nuzzle his nose into her hair. For the strangest reason, it comforted her. She closed her eyes once more.

Nightmares haunted her. Like every other witch and wizard in the magical world, she'd been plagued by worries and fears of what could happen to the ones she loved. Some days, she was able to resist her nightmares and wake up calm and relaxed in the morning. Most nights, they were so horrible she woke up in the middle of the night, pacing and crying. The loved ones she'd lost. The death bodies she'd seen. The pleadings and begging for them to help, but all she could do was stand, petrified while everyone she loved was tortured to insanity. Pleading amber eyes had appeared in this nightmare. The very same ones that begged her forgiveness.

It wasn't until later that she realized she'd forgiven him with all her heart.

That night, she woke in a cold sweat, shivering and trembling with fear. She stood to pace and let her mind wander to something other than the nightmare. But it was the only thing on her mind. She felt the silence tears run down her face. Her heart thumped wildly as she tried to remind herself that it was only a dream. She was freezing, but sweat dripped down the back of her neck. She heard the blankets move after a few minutes of her seemingly endless pacing and tears.  She heard Remus sleepily mumble her name and sit up. 

"I'm alright. Just go back to bed." she tried to say, but her voice croaked. She sniffed accidentally, knowing that he'd heard her. He got up and left the room. She could heard the kettle from the kitchen and wondered why the heck he was making tea or something at this time.

Remus came back five minutes later, holding two cups in his hands. It was dark and she couldn't see what it held. The drink was obviously sweet and warm. He set a cup down and turned on the lights. Dora attempted to cover her tear streaked face by facing the wall. It didn't work.

"I made hot chocolate." he said simply. She knew he was smiling behind her and she sat down on the bed, wiping her face, "What's wrong, love?" he asked, a soft tenderness in his voice that implored her to talk.
"I'm fine, Remus." she answered bluntly, trying to avoid the sweet smell of hot chocolate.
"No, you're not." he added, "Here." He handed her the mug, she took it eagerly.
"Thank you." she whispered.

They sat there, crosslegged and facing each other, in utter silence. He seemed to by studying her more than he was drinking his cocoa. She sipped a bit, knowing it was hot. The cocoa was creamy and sweet, flooding her senses with happy thoughts.

"So that's why you were sick all the time." Remus mused softly. She knew he didn't mean to say it out loud. She smiled softly.
"Yes." her fingers drummed against the cup tentatively, "And we're going to keep the baby, right?"
Remus looked at her like she was absolutely crazy, which made it seem like their argument never happened, "What do you mean? Of course we're keeping the baby."

She grinned, loving him completely. He knew that she needed a distraction. And there he was, smiling and grinning. Making her forget the world's hardships and troubles. Tonight proved that they could survive anything together.

~oOo~

Remus waited until Dora had fallen asleep before him. Her face was no longer crowded with worry and stress, but peace and serenity. He closed his eyes.

They'd had the same routine for a week now. She'd have a nightmare on some nights and they'd stay up talking and drinking hot chocolate. She was so honest with him about how she felt about things and he loved it. In the mornings, he'd make breakfast and she helped clean (though she was clumsy as heck). They'd chat, read stories, or just rest. On some days, Dora would do a bit of gardening, growing little plants in the pots on their windowsills. Through her clumsiness, she'd managed it.

That morning, he'd woken up before her, like he usually did. She snored softly beside him as he stood and headed to the kitchen to make breakfast. Remus glanced at the calendar. August 8th. He grabbed his wand, which lay on a nearby nightstand. Remus remembered that her had to be casting the protection charms on the house. It was early and he could cast them now. 

He stepped outside to start casting. A very simple but powerful light blue shield formed. As he waved his wand the charm covered the house. It was made so they people they knew and loved could enter and those they did not like would disintegrate to dust the second they touched the shield.

Now, breakfast.

A knock at the door sounded. Remus turned off the stage before answering it to ensure that the house would not burn down on the cause of a stove.

It was obviously someone they knew well, or the enchantment was broken and he was a sucky wizard. He was going to go with the first one, on the hopes that Death Eaters would not be at the door. He opened it. There stood Kingsley Shacklebolt, Arthur Weasley, (Remus wondered why they were here, they had work to do) and a few others.

"Shall I even bother checking? You've passed the enchantments." he raised an eyebrow.
"Might as well. You can never be too sure." Kingsley sighed, "Kingsley Shacklebolt, I work for the minister in Britain and took a break to move Harry to the Burrow. However, I'm here on Dumbledore's request for a mission. I also worked alongside your wife, Nymphadora Tonks. Lupin, now, I suppose."
"Arthur Weasley, wife of Molly Weasley, who's maiden name was Prewett. I have six sons, Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George and Ron, and one daughter Ginny. My eldest was married a few days ago and I work in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts. You taught my son and his friends in their third year of Hogwarts."

Introductions and stories to check who they were continued all around. Remus went last.

"Remus John Lupin. I was a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher in Ron, Harry, and Hermione's third year. I married Nymphadora Tonks about a month ago, I taught Harry Potter the patronus charm—his takes the form of a stag—and I am a werewolf."

He stepped aside to let them all in. They seemed to all uncomfortably stand in the living room. Arthur and Kingsley finally became comfortable enough to sit on the couch.

"What are you all doing here this time in the morning?" Remus asked, glancing at each of them in turn.
"Like I said, mission from Dumbledore." Kingsley leaned back, sighing, "Anyway, where's Tonks."
"Sleeping. Don't wake her up."
"I see." Arthur smiled softly, knowing that Molly told him something, "We're not here to chat. We were hoping you'd join us on a mission."