LXVI

"This has to be one of the stupidest ideas you've ever had, Remus John Lupin." he heard her curse as he walked towards the door, gripping his wand in hand.
"They need help, Dora."
"They need our help! We did everything together, Remus!"
"Not this time..." his voice trailed off, knowing what was to come.

Her chocolate eyes pleaded with him, begging him to make his choice, tears filling them.

They'd gone to Andromeda's home to visit her, since she hadn't seen her daughter, grandson, and son in law for a long time. His mother in law was upstairs, resting. She'd worn herself out from cooking and caring for Teddy while Remus and Dora finally were able to sleep. Dora had demanded that her mother sleep and get some rest after the long day.

"You can't leave!" she cried, clutching their son in her arms. Every limb of her body trembled, "Not like the last time..."
"I'll be back."
"You know you can't promise that." Tears fell, angry and distressed. Remus reached out to hold his wife and child, she placed Teddy in his hands.
"Dora, please. They're all fighting for their lives!"
"What does it matter! We've always been together!" her eyes shone with rage and frustration, "Let me go with you!"
"But Teddy—"
"Will stay with my mother!" she cut him off, "We're both so inexperienced and who knows what could happen. But they need our help."
"Dora, I'd never forgive myself if you—" he stopped, the words fresh in his mind, but unable to be spoken.

They looked at each other. Remus couldn't stand the angry and upset look his wife gave him. Everything had gone so fast. He thought he was completely broken until Dora had given him life again. And their son. Their wonderful, beautiful son, who'd been born less than a month ago.

Every memory floated through his mind as they stood there. Meeting her. Going on Order missions with her. Lunches and dinners at her house. How she'd helped keep him alive by curing and bandaging his wounds. Warm friendship, kindled in the light of sly smiles and laughter during meetings. Realizing he'd fallen head over heels for her, and she never leaving his mind. Finally realizing that she thought he was more than good enough for her. That she didn't want anything about him to change. That she didn't just tolerate him because of Order meetings. That she loved him back, that her patronus changed for him. Realizing that his heart truly belonged to the wonderful woman standing in front of him. Proposing. Marrying her. The happiness he'd found when he'd realized that she'd forgiven him. The months he'd stayed with her. The birth of his son, Edward Remus Lupin. The few weeks the three of them had spent together. The few weeks he'd gotten to see his wife in a different light—a mother. The weeks he'd gotten to meet his son.

He found that the wolf that came from his wand wasn't the same as the one he'd casted at first—a depressed creature who mourned in sadness and lived in the dark, alone and afraid of rejection—but a mammal that lived for his family. An animal that fought and cared for the ones he loved. An beautiful creature that was faithful to one it loved forever, until death do them part. 

All of his being was attributed to the one that stood in front of him. The one that was willing to live with him even though he had nothing to give. The one that had stood with him through think and thin. The most lively and cheerful woman he'd ever met. One who's heart was filled with kindness and compassion, alongside hateful anger and rage for the ones who'd done her wrong. A truly powerful witch, person you would never want on your bad side.

And she'd fallen for him in return.

His wife sobbed, "Remus..."
"Dora... I can't stay. Not this time."
"You know that's not right. I'm coming with you, whether you like it or not."
"No!" Remus cried, yelling, "You can't!"
"Who are you to tell me what I can do or what I can't." she raised her chin, suddenly filled with rage, "You may be my husband, but I make my own choices."