LII

Remus nearly jumped out of his skin. He'd heard noises coming from behind him and ran as fast as his legs agreed to take him. The night had been long and his joints were sore, as if he was an eighty year old man, not a middle aged one. Cuts and bruises splattered on his body. He hopefully had thrown off whatever or whoever was pursuing him. He gripped his wand steadily.

He needed to get back to his wife. His stomach twisted and turned and his senses tingled, giving him a shivering feeling though it was March. He just ran.

He knew something would happen. It was just a feeling. He kept trying to tell himself that everything was absolutely fine, but his mind wouldn't listen.

He mentally scolded himself. Why did he let her stay home alone? The Death Eaters mist know about their marriage and child by now, if they hadn't before. They'd be sure to go after the both of them.

He wished he'd managed to make her stay at the Burrow. Who knows what could happen? A miscarriage was very unlikely at this point in his wife's pregnancy, but something could have happened. And Molly would've known exactly how to remedy it.

A silver weasel appeared in front of him, delivering a message in Arthur's voice, saying only a few words.

"Come to the Burrow. Immediately."

Oh no, Remus thought, something actually happened. After checking to see if he was completely and utterly alone, he twisted on the spot, apparating and landed about a few minutes away from the entrance to the Burrow. He ran up to the door, knocking furiously.

Arthur opened it tiredly, but looked relived upon his arrival. Saying nothing, he flicked a hand telling Remus to hurry inside. And so he did.

"Molly? What's happened?" he asked worriedly, shaking with fear.
She seemed not to want to look at him, tears were brimming from her eyes, "Something happened at your house. An attack. A fight. Kingsley had visited so he was able to help the himself and Tonks of them get to the Burrow. Your home... it'll be easy to fix, but not now."
"Where is she?" he nearly shouted, and Molly and Arthur flinched, but softened.
"Resting."
"The baby?"
"We can't be completely sure yet. But I'm sure he or she is fine." Molly and Arthur looked as if they were trying to reassure themselves.
Remus put his head in his hands for just a moment before looking up, "Can I see her?"
"Like I said, she's resting. You can talk to Kingsley if he's still awake."

The older couple looked extremely tired. Remus realized how late it was. Kingsley must've planned to sleep over at their house or something. He knew that was impossible. It was probably more like he had off the next day and knew that Dora needed the support. Or possibly just crashed at their house.

Molly sleepily made all of them coffee and tea. After that, she and Arthur went back to bed, obviously exhausted. They apologized over and over, but Remus told them it was fine and that they should sleep. They told Remus that each of them could use Bill's room or Ron's bed.

Kingsley sat at the table, sipping his coffee slowly. His eyes widened upon seeing him. He also seemed exhausted. A few burns, cuts, and bruises littered his dark skin. Signs that a fight did break out at his and his wife's home.

"Remus..." he looked apologetic.
"Kingsley, what happened?" he asked, trembling with concern and fear.
Kingsley didn't want to look him in the eye, "I was running from some Death Eaters, then ended up closest to your house. Tonks was nice enough to let me inside. I don't know how they found us. They'd managed to destroy the protection spells, once again I don't know how." He took a sip of his coffee, "Anyway, they burned the place. We hadn't noticed until the front door and window sills caught fire. It was hard to escape by apparition because of the smoke and Death Eaters, but managed it and landed at the Burrow. I'm so sorry."

Remus looked his coffee, staring into the swirling trails of milk. He twirled the small spoon in the cup. Then looked back up.

"It's not your fault. As long as you're both alright."

He announced he was going to bed to relive the air of tension. Kingsley nodded sleepily, but stayed at the table, aimlessly sipping his coffee. Remus set his cup down in the sink after rinsing it and the spoon.

The attic was slightly breezy and the windows let in the warm spring air. He breathed it in, the feeling calmed his shaking nerves.

It's all my fault, it's all my fault, he thought, they'll all suffer at my hands. He paced the room, fiddling with his wand.

The Death Eaters went after his wife and child because of him. Had Dora married another, she'd be so much safer. Would he leave them again? Even if it was for protection.

No, he told himself firmly. But you love her don't you, a smaller voice in his head said, she and the baby would be so much safer if you were no longer in their lives.

All his fault... all his fault... why had he done this? He'd put them all in danger. He wished he knew what was going to happen ahead of time. Maybe he'd managed to keep her safe if he had. She wouldn't be hated by her family had he not married her.

But could he really regret it? The answer was no. The elation and compassion his heart had finally felt. A feeling that was addictive, that refused to let him go. The smiles he'd finally shown. Smiles that hadn't be seen for years. Dora's happiness and wellbeing meant everything to him. But what he was thinking be the best for her?

No, she needed him. She needed him more than anyone.

Without meaning to, he'd casted a corporeal patronus. He never casted one, but didn't seem to be able to have it disappear. The light from his patronus was dim, and didn't light up the entire house. The joking wolf smiled at him, holding a smile no one would be able to wear as well as his wife. It smirked at him, making him remember his options and happiness. He wasn't able to get the first time he'd casted this particular patronus. A Defense Against the Dark Arts class. With all his friends beside him.

But it looked different.

He studied it. When he'd first cast the spell, the wolf looked so much like a lone hunter. Someone without a pack or care for it. Occasional friends and helpers, but no one who'd stuck by his side. Then upon James, Sirius, and Peter becoming animagi it seemed joyful, but a distant lonely look in its eyes. It had a friends, but no family to call its own. But eh didn't think much of it, but his friends were his family.  But seeing his patronus made him remember the cursed life he lived and the danger he could put the ones he loved in.

But now, it was clear that this wolf was a pack animal.

It had such a friendly, caring look in its eyes. The eyes of a father and mate, forever faithful to its loved ones. A smile tugged at his lips when he thought of his wife.

And then, and only then, he was finally able to sleep in peace.

Hey everyone! How was everyone's day?? Today I've been like literally super tired and slept for most of it. I was hoping to go to the library, but it's around 7:00 here in NY on a Saturday so it's closed. Anyway what did you think of yhe chapter? And the story?

Thank you all for voting commenting. Love you,
Abby