LXIV - Epilogue

Andromeda had sobbed for days after hearing the fates of her daughter and son in law. She had never quite understood why Dora had forgiven Remus, but now more than anything regretted not forgiving him herself.

Molly, Arthur, Kingsley, and Headmistress McGonagall had attempted to break the news calmly, but even she spotted the tears in their eyes. They'd arranged a funeral for all those who died, including her children. Her lively beautiful daughter. She'd finally began to accept Remus as her son, but now, he too, was gone.

They handed her a few slightly charred slips of papers about the size of her hand. They was messily folded, as if someone shoved them into their pockets in a rush. She unfolded the papers.

"Where did you get these?" she asked the group.
"Remus' pocket. They fell out as a few of the students moved them to the Great Hall." Kingsley said softly.

Andromeda felt another round of tears as she studied the pictures. In the first, It was a delicate picture of her daughter, laughing with her chocolate eyes twinkling in the light. Her face was wet, and it seemed that they were standing in the rain. The next picture was their wedding day, a picture her husband must have taken. Dora was leaning on Remus' arm as they fell asleep on the couch. In the third picture, they were dancing at Bill and Fleur's wedding, laughing. The next, Teddy was there. Andromeda assumed that she had taken that picture. Remus was cradling Teddy, the proudest smile on his face while Dora stood next to him, beaming at the camera. The last picture, was of her holding Teddy. The Andromeda in the picture was smiling happily but had a tinge of sadness in her eyes. She rememb ered that picture quite well, as her daughter had just given birth and was comforted by Remus. Madam Pomfrey had taken the picture. Andromeda received another picture from Kingsley, one that he'd meant to give them after it was all over. The scene was clear, right in front of the lake. Right after Dumbledore's funeral. Remus and Dora were kissing happily, and someone from the Order must've snapped a photo there.

She sobbed with happiness, finding comfort in the fact that Remus really did love Dora. Andromeda found a lot of other things that had belonged to her daughter and son in law. A wooden box of notes and strange ashes. She didn't question who they were for, since each of them were written in Remus' neat and artistic hand. She'd found a few sweaters that belonged to the both of them, they smelled like warm food, chocolate, and occasionally baby powder. She found a numerous amount of little chocolates that Dora must've given Remus at some point. She also found several bouquets of flowers.

She tied up the small bundle of pictures, then sent copies of them to Harry for him to give to Teddy when he was older. The other, seeming more personal things, she kept. Andromeda wasn't sure how long she'd live, but made sure her grandson would see how much his parents loved each other and him. More than anything in the world.

She'd nearly forgotten about her grandson. Her child's only child. Teddy was now the apple of her eye and she loved him completely. With her daughter, husband, and son in law gone, who else could her heart turn to?

She saw their bodies at the funeral, so serene and peaceful. Their hands entwined together, seeming unable to be pulled apart. Andromeda sobbed as she held Teddy in her arms, only a month old. Molly had taken him from her so she could truly mourn her dead. Every Order member had agreed that they would be buried together because they would have wanted it that way. They'd had so little time for each other before, now they had all eternity to be together. Their love would never be forgotten.

But what if one of them had lived, though. One parent. A singular wizard or witch to raise Teddy, with the help of Andromeda, his wonderful grandmother.

Would he be able to stand to hear his mother's quiet cries behind the bedroom door, pleading for his father to come back. Could he watch his mother's eyes fill to the brim with tears whenever she looked at him? To see her decreased love's eyes? Would he withstand hearing her screaming from the nightmares that taunted her every night? Could he listen to the audible gasps and whispers that tormented her and him in the streets, knowing that his father was dead and couldn't remind his mother of his happy smiles and kisses? 'She married the werewolf.' 'That's their son.'