XLVI

That morning, Remus rushed back to the Burrow as quickly as he could. Sure, he was exhausted and bleeding, but his wife's health came first. He didn't know if anything had happened and he knew Molly wouldn't have sent him a patronus if something did, considering his situation.

He ran through fields and fields of grasses, not stopping to admire them. Blood from one of the cuts on his forehead began to drip. The drop raced down his cheek. Remus paid no mind to it. He knocked on the door upon reaching the place. Arthur answered it. He began talking fast and furiously. Remus suddenly felt bad, knowing they'd all just woke up.

"Is she okay? Did something happen?" he asked, his eyes wide with fright.
Arthur yawned, "Tonks? She's absolutely fine. Nothing happened and you can calm down."—another yawn—"Come inside. You look a fright. Molly'll be up to help."
"Thank you, but it's fine. Dora and I just have to go home."
"Molly's not going to let you go home until you eat breakfast." There was a kind and loving look in Arthur's eyes at the mention of his wife. They must really love each other, Remus thought. Would his and Dora's relationship be like that?

He stepped inside, setting his robes down on one of the chairs. He heard footsteps and looked up. Dora was rubbing her eyes—the way she usually did in the mornings. Upon seeing him, her eyes lit up and a cheerful smile came to her lovely face. He was sure to stand and make sure she didn't fall. It was a wonder she hadn't fallen until she reached the rug. Remus only chuckled as he reached out to grab her.

"Hey. You feeling alright?" he asked.
She kissed him quickly, her hair running through his hair. He smiled into the kiss,
"I should be asking you that question." he heard her mumble against his lips.

They pulled away and began to laugh, grins apparent and wide on their faces. Remus could barely breathe. Her brown eyes twinkled with delight and joy. A smile tugged on both of their lips after they managed to stop laughing. He hugged her.

"I missed you." he whispered.
"Missed you, too."
"Remus, Tonks! Come have breakfast!" Molly called from the kitchen.
"Damn." Dora joked, "I was looking forward to your pancakes."
"They can wait until tomorrow." he smiled.

From that morning on, every full moon, Remus would have his wife stay the night at the Burrow or her mother's house. He knew Andromeda adding like being along and her daughter was one of the many joys in her life. They'd reached the end of October without a problem.

His wife was glowing with happiness. She'd stopped throwing up a month ago, which made life wiser for the both of them. The fact that she was with child was more apparent than ever, her hands often rested on her growing stomach. Dora complained that she was tired, felt pressure on her hips, and had back pains. Andromeda had told the both of the, that this was normal and they shouldn't worry. Interesting thing was, his wife often craved chocolates.

He'd learned to always had a few on hand in case they went somewhere and didn't know where to buy chocolates. Or if Andromeda didn't have any on hand. She hated the way she couldn't wear some of her favorite clothes, which Remus had chuckled at. She bopped him on the head with her wand. Hard. Remus found himself rubbing the spot furiously, even though it wouldn't ease the pain. He'd felt terrible when she later burst into tears, apologizing constantly. Remus seemed completely unable to console her.

That morning, he'd remembered it was a special day for his wife. Her birthday.

"Morning love," he kissed her, "Happy birthday."
"Morning." she yawned, sprawling herself on the couch. 
"Do you want to do something today, Dora?"
"Remus, there's a war going on at the moment and it's not safe."
"Absolutely sure, love?" He'd raised an eyebrow.

He was a bit confused as to why she didn't want to go out or anything. His eyebrow only went up higher. She was usually pestering him about going out.

"It's almost Halloween and we still had to decorate." she said, running a hand through her bright hair.

In all honestly, Halloween wouldn't be until another month or so. He'd just recovered form a full moon only two days ago, but suspected that she was getting bored. He looked wearier than ever after a full moon, his wife always noted. He rubbed his face and kept his hands there for just a second, chalking slightly from his tiredness. Dora noticed and began to cry.

"Oh I'm so sorry!" she cried, a tear slipping down her cheek, "I shouldn't make you decorate!"
"Dora it's okay, I'd love to decorate." he answered soothingly, struggling to comfort her.
"But you're hurt. I feel terrible!"

The mood swings, he thought, mentally groaning. He sat down next to her and held her close. He loved her so much, he'd put up with anything to stay by her side. Especially the mood swings. His fingers tentatively grazed her stomach, asking permission if he could hug her. Dora shot him a look of "duh, this is your child, after all".

"So you're absolutely sure you don't want to do anything at all for you birthday." he whispered into her ear.
"Nothing at all. Just stay with me. With us." she said softly, "I also want to bake tripe chocolate chip cookies."
"Of course. But after a movie?"
"Obviously." she turned on the tv so they could watch something for a little while before baking cookies.
"I'm sorry I wasn't able to get you anything." He felt insanely guilty about not having the money to take his wonderful wife out to dinner. But she didn't looked bothered by it.
"Hey, what does it matter? I'm spending the day with my two favorite people." her hand moved to her stomach, "The baby," then she kissed him, "and you."

He smiled and set his hands above hers when she sat back down, where they rested on her stomach. It occurred to him for the first time that day, that they could both die. Death was completely inevitable during this war. If by some miracle they survived, would they recover from the deaths of their friends and family and the horrors of war. The bloodshed and tears.

Or perhaps if he'd managed to make sure his wife would live to raise the child. Dora would be a wonderful mother, he had no doubt of it. But would he be able to stand watching from heaven, seeing her crying seemingly endless tears over his passing. Could she even be strong enough to raise the child?

Or he was the one to live? Remus knew his heart would break every time he'd look at his son or daughter, knowing that he or she would be exactly like his or her mother. He'd never be able to support the child, if the laws of the Ministry didn't change or if the Death Eaters won the war. But they both had complete faith in Harry and that they would succeed, but what would it cost all of them? He'd never be able to stand looking at his child, knowing that he or she would never have a mother to raise him or her. Remus knew his heart only belonged to one person, and that would never change. In death or life, he'd love her only.

"Remus..."
"Hmm?"
"Can I have just one thing?"
"Anything, love."

She leaned over to him, lips puckered, and he closed his eyes gently. Instead of feeling the usual warmth, a chill came over him. He felt himself feeling something oddly shaped and cool against his lips. What the heck, he thought confused, pulling away and swearing profusely. His expression was a strange cross between angry, confused, and somewhat embarrassed. He furiously wiped his mouth as he spotted the bright pink niffler on the floor (the animal choice was my brother's) who smirked at him. It also waved around a small silver ring in its hand.

"Dora, are you kidding me!"

His wife in a magical beats form was laughing at him, clutching her stomach. He was able to tell she was pregnant even as a niffler. He watched as her features shifted to human ones. She beamed at him.

"Your face!" she giggled, noticeably seeming unable to breathe, "Oh my Lord, you were so scared!" 

Remus could only sigh at his wife's childish antics, but found himself laughing along side her. That smile, he thought, that gorgeous smile, the baby will have her smile, I'm convinced.

This time, there wasn't a possibility of his wife saying otherwise.

Shoutouts to RipplingReader and nerdyravenclaw237 for the idea of that little bit at the end. I admit it's not that good and apologize for that, but I promise the next chapter will be better!!!
Thanks for the constant love and support!
-Abby