Chapter One: Annie Hates Her Publicist

"I hate you," I mumbled, as my publicist, Hannah, thrust my passport into my already over-burdened hand.

"You'll be fine. Want to get noticed by more producers? This gig might help."

I look at her with tired eyes and sigh, perhaps a bit over-dramatically. "I should have just become a librarian. I'm too boring and introverted for this lifestyle. I like books and sleeping. Not parties and reality television. Also, I hate the constant sunshine in Los Angeles. Honestly, SoCal, get some real weather. It's November. Some rain never hurt anyone."

Hannah cut me off, "Just go. You're going to miss your flight. Be in touch as soon as you land at Heathrow. Maybe the weather in London will be a bit more to your liking." Hannah's voice softened a bit, "Seriously, you'll be fine. Make a friend or something!"

"You're the only friend I need, Hannah P." I winked at her before turning away to start my journey through security.

"Love you, Annie D."

Hannah could grate on my nerves with her hopeless extroversion and effortless coolness, but I already missed her as I stood in a line that felt endless. I'm not ready for this. This impending project was the opposite of "my thing."

I tried to give myself a pep talk, like a coach in a bad-in-a-good-way 90s sports movie, but it felt unnatural. "You're Annie fucking Delaney. You were nominated for an MTV Movie Award for best on-screen kiss. You won the Milwaukee County Spelling Bee in seventh grade. You can eat food really fast. You're good at math." I laughed out loud at how lame I am.

It was going to be a long two weeks away from my comfort zone. And my dogs. And that one software engineer from Tinder I was occasionally hooking up with between filming and voice-over work. And Hannah. I guess.

Once through security, I rushed to my gate, settled into my seat on the plane, and prepared myself for a twelve hour travel itinerary in a cramped coach  cabin by pulling out some audition scripts.

Hollywood isn't very glamorous, even for the lucky ones with regular work.

Seriously, why was I doing this?