Chapter Sixty-Six: Running Away

It was around 1:30 am when I heard my apartment door open. I was sitting on the couch just pathetically staring at my phone, waiting for Annie to call back or text, when she appeared in the living room.

"Hi," she said softly.

I just nodded at her and set my phone down on the coffee table. I didn't know what to say. I was scared of losing her and angry because she left so quickly and easily. It seemed like it was nothing for her to just exit the conversation and run.

I was surprised when she put her bag down on a chair and stood in front of me. She paused for a second before lowering herself onto my lap and straddling me with her legs.

She kissed me deeply, and, without a second thought, I gave into it. I ran my hands up and down her back and played with her hair, but she eventually pulled away.

"I am so sorry, Christian. I am being an absolute nightmare of a person." She looked at me, and I could see that she was starting to tear up. "I'm all over the place. I just want to feel like myself again." She sighed and then kissed my forehead.

"You're pregnant," I whispered. "You can behave a little irrationally, but please don't just leave and ignore me. I was terrified you left for good."

"I know. I'm so, so sorry for being such an asshole." She kissed me on the lips again. "I love you. I want to show that to you, despite my anxiety over this entire situation. I can do better. I can be better."

"Where did you even go? You smell a little like beer."

Annie chuckled. "I sat with my brother at a bar and drank a Coke."

I nodded. "I'm glad you came home."

She bit her lip. "Home, huh?"

"We're together, so it's home."

She smiled and kissed a line from my cheek to my lips and then down my neck. "I don't like the idea of being away from you. I'm trying to pretend it's okay, and like I'm so independent that being apart from you doesn't hurt, but it fucking sucks. I'm going to have to deal with it, though, because we're both so good at what we do. We're going to have to work so hard to be happy as a couple, as a family, and I blew it tonight." She wrapped her arms around my neck and pressed her forehead against mine.

"I'm sorry for yelling. You deserve space when you need it. I have to learn to adjust too."

"I should have gone to your game. I'll be there for the rest of the homestand. I'd like to take my brothers tomorrow . . . If you don't mind."

I fiddled with the hem of her shirt. "Of course I don't mind," I whispered as I brushed my fingers across her stomach. "How's baby Yeli?"

"She's always hungry." Annie sighed. "But I think that's good." She locked eyes with me and smiled.

I began to pull her shirt off, and Annie assisted me to finish the task. I continued to touch her stomach as she kissed me. "It's been too long," I whispered and smirked.

"Oh, yeah, a full six days," she replied while I reached back and unclasped her bra, which she pulled the rest of the way off.

"Way, way too long," I muttered as I buried my face in her breasts.

She giggled as I covered them in kisses. In response, she began to grind against me before unexpectedly standing up. "We have too many items of clothing on," she commented as she undid her jeans and then slowly removed them — followed by her panties.

I stood up and threw off my shirt and kicked off my boxers. She pushed me back onto the couch and resumed her position, but this time she guided me deep inside of her.

I moaned loudly and threw my head back. "Fuck, baby," escaped my lips as she began to ride me. My hands moved up and down her sides and then massaged her breasts gently.

"Christian," she gasped as I touched her. She bounced up and down on my cock harder and faster.

"I wasn't expecting this," I whispered.

"I touched myself every time you were at bat today, baby." She squeezed her walls around me while I tenderly played with her nipples. "I couldn't have done that at Miller Park."

I smirked at her. "I would have taken care of you after the game."

I was nearing release. She pulled us closer together and worked even harder to finish me off.

"I love you," she whispered into my ear as I let go inside of her. "No more running away. I'm done."

I took a moment to catch my breath. "You should just marry me then," I blurted out.

I had no idea where it came from, but it was out in the world now.

And I hoped the consequences weren't too severe.