Chapter Fifty-Nine: It Wasn't the Pizza

"We've been doing this a lot lately," I mumbled into my tear-soaked pillow as Hannah rubbed my back.

"I'm proud of you for getting through that interview after that asshole booked it out of here. I should have rescheduled it for you."

I sighed. "Is he really an asshole, or is he just human? I'd flip my shit if someone dropped that bomb on me too. I don't know if I could face it. He doesn't owe me anything."

"Annie, you can be mad at him. You're allowed. And you didn't do this on your own. He owes you, at the very least, some respect."

"I have you and my parents. I'm fine without him," I lied before rolling over from my side onto my back and looking up at the ceiling.

"Which reminds me, you still need to tell your family. Do you want me to come to Milwaukee with you to tell them in person?"

"Is that too much to ask of you? I've been making you do a lot of things that are outside of your job description, and that's unfair. You didn't impregnate me."

"I want to come," she informed me.

"I'd like that." I smiled at her, and she squeezed my hand. As soon as she let go, the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it!" she exclaimed as she stood up. "I'm ready for pizza."

"Thanks for not making me eat tofu tonight." I smiled at her. "Now bring that pizza to bed."

Hannah stood in the doorway a few minutes later. "It wasn't the pizza," she said regretfully. She then stepped out of the way, and Christian took her place.

"Hi," he muttered. "Can we talk, please?"

I sat up in bed and crossed my legs. "Okay." I was surprised to see him, and I was even more surprised that he seemed fairly calm. I didn't feel calm at all.

He sat down next to me. "I'm sorry for my reaction. I was just scared. And angry. I didn't want to hurt you. I say stupid things when I'm upset. Really stupid things." He licked his lips and looked at me, and, as always, my heart jumped.

I nodded. "I've been terrified since I found out in late February. I haven't had a good night's sleep since."

"I wish you would have told me sooner." He placed a hand on my thigh and soothingly rubbed circles with his thumb. "You'd be sleeping better."

"I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I needed time at first. And then you found Paige, and you were happy. Was I supposed to ruin that?" I put my hand on top of his to show him I approved of his gentle touch.

"What do you mean you weren't sure what you were going to do?" His eyes were filled with concern.

"I went to get an abortion, and I couldn't follow  through with it." I shrugged and looked down. "Chickened out."

"Annie, I could have been there for you through all of that, and I would have respected your decision regardless of what it was."

"That would have just made it harder."

"When are you due, anyway?" he asked and then moved a little closer to me, so our bodies were side to side.

"September 25th, so we still have a bit of time."

Christian nodded. "What have I missed so far? Do we know the sex? Can you feel the baby move?" His tone was genuinely curious, and it warmed my heart a bit.

"I heard her heartbeat for the first time a couple weeks ago, but no movement yet — probably not for another month."

"I hope I'll be around for that," he whispered before pressing his lips against my cheek. "And her?" His eyes were wide.

"I just have a feeling."

"You and my mom both." He smirked at me. "He's a boy, though. Sorry!"

"She's a girl. That's the vibe I'm getting. Also, you told your mom already? Who else?" I was slightly annoyed his mom knew before my own, but that was my fault — not his.

"Just my mom. I needed her advice. I won't tell anyone else without talking to you about it first."

"I'm going to tell my parents in Milwaukee in a few weeks. I don't want to tell them over the phone."

"Can we do that together?" he asked me, his eyes bright with optimism. "I want to start doing all these things together. I feel really removed from both of you. Let's fix that."

He suddenly moved his hand under my shirt and brushed his fingertips across my stomach. "I really am sorry, baby." I wasn't sure who he was talking to, but his words made me shiver. "I'm going to be good at this. I'm going to make a ton of mistakes, but I'll be a great dad. I know it."

"You will be," I whispered. "I just have a good feeling about it."

Christian smiled and then pulled me in for a kiss. I gave into him without second thought, and he wasted no time positioning his body on top of mine. "I love you," he whispered into my ear before helping me lie down on my back. "And I want you. Now."

He kissed me again, and I wasn't going to resist him this time.

I had nothing to hide from him any longer.