Part 3; Midtown Tech

Talking to an old friend makes you realize how much your life has changed. ~ anonymous

beep beep beep

I moan and stretch my arms out.

beep beep beep

I rub my eyes and squint against the bright light entering the room.

beep beep beep

I run a hand through my hair.

beep beep beep

I slam my hand down on the alarm clock. That thing is a bitch! Doesn't it ever shut up? This alarm clock is slowly resembling my mom more and more.

Sorry, not sorry.

I know. I'm really harsh on her. It's just that she lost all faith in my father. Even when he went through his cancer, she didn't even try to make him feel better. She was just upset that he didn't give us attention. It is not dad's fault that he saw an opportunity to make himself happy after he nearly lost his life! She shielded me from him when he did give us attention and well, now she's forcing me to live with her.

I wouldn't live with her if Midtown Tech wasn't such a darn good school. I need something like this if I want to go to college and become a lepidopterist (a scientist who studies butterflies).

I sit up and cover my face with my hands. I'm going to have like a billion meetings today. With teachers and guidance counselors and students and ugh. I dangle my legs off of my bed and cast my mind back to last night. The first time I wore my suit in Queens.

What exactly am I going to use my powers for, good or bad? Well I'm not planning on using them or either. I don't want to be a hero like Captain America, per say. But I don't want to be a villain like Loki is... or was. His status is pretty complicated. I just want to cause mischief, I guess. Use this kind of stuff for fun, like I told Spider-Boy.

Who was this boy anyways? He didn't sound much older than I am, but his mask completely concealed his face so he might as well be a fifty year old who just has a high-pitched voice. He seemed decent though. A good ally to have just in case something bad happens.

I eventually gain the courage to get out of bed and get ready. I choose dark clothes for today- a pair of skinny, black ripped jeans with a black Nike hoodie. I need to blend in with the shadows, even though I know that I will be standing out of the crowd as much as I would wearing a clown costume.

I brush my hair quickly and don't bother to style it. If I'm going to be treated like I'm wearing a clown costume, I shouldn't even try. I slide my watch on, this might come in handy, and pick up my phone, my earphones and my backpack. My mom packed everything in my bag for me. She did all my school shopping while I was with dad in the summer so I can't wait to see what kind of crappy things she brought for me!

I slip my earphones through my jumper and plug it into my phone which is in the pocket as I walk into the living room. Phil and mom are cuddling on the couch.

Grot.

Cam sits with his back to them on the floor, his eyes glued to the TV. He fills his mouth with cereal and tries not to choke as he laughs at something. My insides fill with delight to see him happy, to see him not struggling like I am.

"Hey Cam," I say softly.

He turns to me, covering his mouth with his hand, "hey Ray."

I moan with a hint of amusement, "I told you not to call me that. It's a guy's name and it annoys me."