Part 14; The Jock and the Nerd

I only have one heart and I'm saving it ~ Kiera Cass

"Mr Harrington?" I approach his desk after class.

He peered up from his stack of papers, "oh, hey Raven. What can I do for you?"

"I want to join the decathlon team," I declare.

"Really?" his whole face lights up, "that's fantastic! Well we have practice after school if you'd like to join us."

And that's how I ended up here.

In some random, big room.

Studying random, useless facts.

With a bunch of nerds...

and Flash.

Why did I do it?

Well, you see...

I don't know. I just wanted something to pass the time and I guess it sounds cool to actually be apart of a group.

"Raven," MJ tosses me a pamphlet and I promptly catch it, "we're going to Nationals again this year. Washington. You'll be there right?"

Is this even a question? A weekend away from Phil and mom? And in Washington?!

"Yeah, I will," I reply, a smile on my face.

She returns it, "great." She walks over to Peter and asks him the same question but adds, "you're not ditching us again, are you?"

"No, I'll be there this time," he reassures her. What does she mean, ditching us again? Did Peter do this last year? I'll just ask him later.

She nods and goes to Flash and repeats the question. He stretches with a cocky grin on his face, "well, last year it was a hot date with Black Widow and well, this time..." he frowns, "I dunno, The Butterfly asked me on a trip with her to Paris."

"She's out of your league, Flash," I call out, my nose buried in my book, "don't want to even go there."

I'm slouched down on the floor, my back resting against the wall, a textbook in my lap. I tap a pen on the book and frown as my brain tries to process everything I'm reading.

Flash has an amused expression on his face, "so you know Butterfly, huh? Just like Peter knows Spider-Man?"

I snap my head up to look at Peter, "you know Spider-Man?"

Peter sits on the other side of the room and is taken aback by my question. "I mean, I have a Stark internship and so yeah, I've met him a few times," he stutters.

He works for Tony. Huh.

"How do you know Butterfly, Raven?" Flash continues taunting me.

All eyes in the room are on me. I open my mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. It's an awkward few seconds and Flash is about to say something witty, but my phone starts to ring.

"Saved by the bell," I smirk but it immediately goes away when I see who's name appears on the screen. Rory. "I'm, um, sorry," I apologize to the rest of the team, "this might be urgent."

I leave the room before anyone can stop me. I already fear the worst. Is he in an ambulance? Is he in hospital? Is he in surgery? Is he already... no. I refuse to believe it.

Once I'm in the hallway, I pick it up straight away. "Rory?" I ask worriedly, "is he okay? Is he going to--"

"--Raven," she interrupts but her voice is calm with a hint of concern, "he's fine, it's just... the lab I'm worried about."