Part 25; Fancy Seeing You Here

It's always bad news when you kill your date ~ Jay Leno

As soon as my phone chimes, I leap out of my bed and open the text.

Be there in 20 x

I fling my closet doors open and scan through the limited options. The one pair of non-black jeans sends first-date vibes so there are the bottoms. My eyes dart back and forth between the few blouses I have, yet none of them seem to work with the jeans... the brown sleeveless coat I have on the other hand? It matches perfectly. It's never been worn and what kind of occasion better than a first date to wear it? Add in a white singlet and that's my outfit sorted.

I head over to my dressing table where the little amount of makeup I own resides. My reflection in the mirror meets my eyes and it makes me smile. I'm not wearing black for the first time ever. For once, it actually looks like I'm going somewhere other than a funeral. Who even knew that I had clothes that weren't dark?

Just a little bit of foundation, I tell myself.

It covers the red on my pale complexion and I smile fondly at myself. But the faint pink glow of my cheeks fades along with the red and my smile disappears.

Maybe a little bit of blush too.

The pink returns as the brush tickles my skin. Once applied, I feel more satisfied... if it wasn't for the black lines that stand boldly from underneath my eyes.

A bit of concealer will fix that.

And by the end of it, there I am sitting with a fully caked face of makeup... just like all of those hoes who lost their virginity on the first date.

Shit. Am I a hoe?! My eyes widen in the mirror. Surely not. "You are not a hoe," I tell myself out loud, "Raven Garcia is not a hoe and never will be."

Self-pep talks really do work.

I grin to myself and shove my phone in the back pocket of my jeans. Downstairs is pretty much empty, thankfully. Cam is at a friend's house for the night and mom and Phil are spending a nice together as fiancees. It's still pretty shocking to me. Big boy Phil grew a pair and proposed. Proposed. They're going to have a ceremony where they'll vow to be there for eachother for the rest of their lives and the rest of mom's life basically means the rest of Cam's life and the rest of my life. Cam won't mind because Phil has been the major father figure in his life. Me on the other hand... well, we all know how I feel.

Doing this basically pushed dad out completely so there goes any chance of a family reunion! My gut sinks for dad. He loved mom and my sixth sense tells me he still does. But she never even apologized. At least Tony tried to!

A pair of bright lights appear in the driveway and I throw on a pair of brown boots to match the coat. There's no need to lock the door, per mom's request. My boots clip clop against the concrete. Nate doesn't get out of the car. I slide into the passenger seat and smile at him. He's wearing a pair of black jeans and a white t-shirt that outlines his abs. Any other girl sitting in this seat here would be drooling and ruining their makeup. But it's me. So I don't. Because I prefer nerds to jocks.

"You look beautiful," he says.

I don't blush. "Thanks. You look good," I tell him.

He grins and his dimples appear. The car backs out, away from the house and we drive off into the night sky.

We're walking along some footpath somewhere. Nate's arm dangles over my shoulder again and once again, it makes me feel uncomfortable. If it wasn't seen as rude in society, I would've asked him to remove his arm. Maybe I just need adjusting. I mean, I like someone yet I'm on a date with another person. Yes, that's it.