Part 34; Brother Dearest

Siblings: children of the same parents, each of whom is perfectly normal until they get together ~ Sam Levenson

Mom returns to my room later to find me back in bed, wearing the blue sweater, with the food and drinks completely untouched. If I didn't look bad to her then, I must look like a mess to her now. "The thing with that boy didn't go well?" she asked concerned.

I shake my head sadly then croak out my words, "please ask me before you let anyone else in. I don't want that to happen again."

She purses her lips and nods. I pretend not to notice as she eyes the full tray. Mom sighs and leaves my room.

And before I know it, I fall asleep.

The sudden shift of weight in my bed wakes me. My eyes snap open to mom quietly shouting, "Cam! She's sleeping! Leave her alone!"

But Cam doesn't get up and instead wraps his little arms around me, saying sorry over and over again. I turn around to see him weeping. It's been years since I last saw Cam cry and even then, it was only one tear. He had fallen off of his bike and fractured his leg. A ten year old boy crying softly and still trying to stop himself. He likes to be a macho boy. So seeing him in this state damages my broken heart even more. "I'm sorry, Ray. I'm so, so, so sorry," he repeats between sobs.

Mom seems to be on the verge of tears at this sight as well. I sit up a little and take him in my arms, letting his tears soak my shirt. "It's okay, don't be sorry," I whisper. My face rests on the top of his head as the door shuts.

He sits up and looks at me through bleary eyes. I rest my hand on his cheek and smile at him, "was the reception at least nice?"

He frowns before nodding slightly, "it was exactly how he would've wanted it."

"Tell me all about it," I stay strong, just for Cam... and for dad. He wouldn't want me to be beside myself about this. He would want me to get over it.

His mouth opens to speak, but he clamps is shut straight away, not wanting to talk about it. My eyes widen a little bit, urging him on. So he speaks quietly, "it was in the lab for starters. It was closed casket which doesn't surprise me, he wouldn't want us to see his dea... dead body. Rory was really upset, I had to sit next to her the whole time. She would keep telling me stories about dad. He was so cool. I'm sad that I..." His voice drifts off. He clears his throat before continuing, "I should've been closer to him. He only had one son and that's me. I should've..."

His voice breaks again and I wrap an arm around his shoulder, "Cam, don't spend your days crying. Don't. I know you'll regret it, and the regret will tear you apart, don't get me wrong. But as one final bond with dad, don't be as upset as I'm being. It sucks and dad wouldn't want either of us to cry."

"The last time I spoke to him, it was four years ago. Four years ago, Ray!" he whines.

"Cam, don't you dare. If we're going to talk about last words, look at my last conversation with him. You were there, listening!" I sigh, "I didn't get to tell him how much I loved him and we fought. You never know when the last time you'll talk to someone is. So even when you fight, make up soon after because soon after, you might lose them."

My own words were a wake up call for me. What if I never see Peter again? The last conversation, conversations even were terrible. If those were my last words to him, I would never forgive him. Even MJ and Ned. I have a lot of making up to do, don't I?

Cam notices the sudden change in my mood and despite his tear-stained face, he smiles through it all, "you just taught yourself something, didn't you?" I press my lips together, fighting the grin I want to show. He nods towards the door, "then go... actually, I take that back. Maybe shower first. No, just throw yourself into a sewer and you'll be a little cleaner."