Part 5; Tarantula

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at the things that shine. ~Taylor Swift

The "meeting" finishes and I storm out of the office as soon as she gives me permission to. I just want to hit my head on a brick wall repeatedly... actually no, I take that back. I want to throw myself off a cliff!

"Hey," a small voice says from behind me.

I sigh and turn around. Peter. Again. Does this boy ever go away?

I let out a breath, "what now, student adviser?"

"Do you have a phone?" he asks, speaking quickly, "just so I can give you my number in case you need anything? I mean, not that you will need anything, but you just might. So, I don't know, if you want--"

I cut him off, attempting to mask my cool mood, "--Peter. It's okay." I hand him my phone and he sighs a breath of relief as he unlocks his phone and passes it to me. He types in his number and I do the same. I finish before him and my foot taps against the marble floor. I bite my lip as I stare around in the hallway at the school walls.

Everything hits me like a bus.

I am not okay.

Dad has cancer and I'm just at school. Dad could die and I'm here studying like everything is okay. I have freaking super powers and I'm just blending in like all of these normal kids.

"I... I gotta go," I say, swiveling on my heel.

"You're cutting school on the first day?"

I stop dead in my track, "it's Hell. Who wouldn't want to escape Hell as soon as possible?"

"What's your deal?"

I turn around and my forehead creases, "excuse me?"

He sighs impatiently, "I'm sorry, but I've only known you for like thirty minutes and you keep putting yourself down and acting like everything sucks. Well it doesn't!"

I stride towards him and poke his chest, "well I'm sorry that not everything is all sunshine and rainbows, Peter! I'm just trying to be realistic."

"Well its not all dystopia and Hell either. So you aren't realistic," he scoffs.

"You know nothing about my life or about me," I hiss, "so you don't know what realistic is for me!"

"Well I do know that--"

A stomping from the corridor cuts him off. We both sigh and turn to see the principal striding towards us.

"Get to class, you two," he orders.

I bite my cheeks and nod. "Sorry, sir," Peter says and we both turn in opposite directions to get to our classes.

"Raven," I hear from behind me.

I exhale in exasperation, "what do you want now for God's--"

"--my phone," Peter says coolly and advances towards me. He slams my phone into my palms and snatches his phone out of mine. I stare after him as he walks off, not turning to look back at me.

I chuckle slightly to myself, not about Peter, but about how pathetic I can be. Tears well up in my eyes slightly, but I immediately shove them away. My footsteps slam against the floor as I make my way to the next class. I don't even bother to knock. My hand finds the doorknob and shoves it open. I gulp as I take my first steps in.

"Raven," the teacher says, "welcome back."

Mr. Pinell. I hate this man so much and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual. He takes any opportunity to humiliate me despite my attempts to do well in the class and actually listen to the crap he actually says which is a difficult task to say the least. I mean, it's pretty hard considering he doesn't actually know his size in clothing. The buttons on his button-down shirt look like they're about to shoot off and blind someone and his pants are more like cropped jeans, I'm surprised that he still has circulation.