Part 41; Alive

It's not a person's mistakes which define them- it's the way they make amends ~ Freya North

The white light streaming in through the window is blinding.

All I can think is: I'm dead. This is Hell. I'm dead and I'm in Hell.

But then I start to blink and I realize that I'm alive. I'm alive and I'm in some place I've never been in before. Bandages are strapped around my arms. What... happened?

I cast my mind back to the last thing that I remember.

The fire.

The house.

Cam.

Everything is gone. Everything. Including Cam.

He is my entire life and he's been taken. Now it's clear that Mary has a death wish... and she's certainly getting it.

But first, where am I?

My eyes blink repeatedly in an attempt to get used to the blinding light. I sit upright and straighten my back, every nook and cranny of me searing with pain. A searing pain scorches my head, the blood pounding about in there. Right. Phil hit me in the back of my head and gave me a concussion. I couldn't even move...

An IV drip is attached to my left hand. So I'm in a hospital?

The room seems... awfully fancy for a hospital room. Everything seems modern and sleek. The entire wall in front of me is one gigantic window, showing a view of rows and rows of trees. The rest of the room is painted a dark shade of blue and the floor is a bright, white marble. Even the bed I'm laying in is a double bed, decorated with exquisite, luxury, high-end pillows and blankets. Definitely not hospital.

After examining the room, I lay my eyes upon a designer couch in the corner of the room. Its plush, yellow exterior is covered by somebody laying on it. A blanket used to cover them, shielding them from the cold, but judging from its position on the floor, it must have fallen off during their deep slumber.

I slide my legs off of the bed and feast my eyes on the syringe resting atop my hand. If anything, I don't need a drip. I'm awake and responding and I feel fine... somewhat. If it wasn't for the burns, I would be rid of any pain. So I yank it out and that hurts more than the burns themselves.

Seeing my sleeveless arms makes me realize that my clothes are completely changed as well. Instead of my suit, which is probably burnt now, and instead of the clothes underneath the suit, I'm in a plain white t-shirt and gray sweats. The fact that someone had changed my clothes bothers me more than it should, but what's done is done.

The headache gets worse when I stand up. An accurate representation for it would be a sharp knife or sword or dagger reaching into my skull and poking every inch of my brain, ensuring to put me in as much pain in possible. But I drag my feet , fighting the affliction, towards the chairand the mysterious person. Who would sleep in the same room as me and--

Oh. Right.

Peter is sound asleep, a brown curl falling on his face. He lets out a soft snore, causing my heart to flutter. For a second, just for a second, all of my pain and worry seems to go away, knowing that Peter will forever be by my side. I tormented him for months and he broke my heart majorly, but we fought through it all and look where we are. He saved my life. He must have somehow fought his way into the fire, into the fire, risking his own life to save mine.

Knowing he won't hear me, I lean down to make eye contact with him and utter the following words, "thank you. I don't know how on earth I'd ever pay you back, but thank you for saving my life for the second time. I would never admit this to you, or to anyone. In fact, I can't believe that I'm admitting this to myself. You were right... about me not actually being cold on the inside. I'm not. I'm really not. I care so much for people, especially for people like you. If anything, especially you, since you were the one who brought out this side. Peter, I could never tell you what I'm about to tell you next... but I'm scared. Something bad is going to happen. Something really bad is going to happen... to you. I won't leave you, okay? You never left my side. I am not leaving your's. I won't let it happen even if I have to sacrifice things in order to do that."