Part 45; Round and Round

There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart ~ Jane Austen

The.

Lab.

Is.

Mine?!

Why the hell did he think this was a good idea?!

I'm not even eighteen, let alone responsible enough to be able to run an entire science lab! Besides, with everything going on here... no. A break would be good. But I need to be here. My life is all over the place. In fact, nothing is in place.

"Are you still there?" Rory is still on the other end.

"Um, yeah," my eyes close as I try to process her words. "Rory, why would he leave me the lab? I mean, you live there and you were almost is co-owner. What would go through his mind to give it to me?"

Of all emotions for her to be feeling right now, I assume that she's feeling hurt that he gave it to his reckless teenage daughter and not to his loyal, potential love interest. Instead, she laughs lightly, as if this is some kind of joke.

"Were you joking? I can't tell," a giggle also escapes my lips as I realize what the punchline is.

"It's not a joke," she breathes through fits of laughter. "I actually knew that he was going to leave it to you."

My eyebrows knit together, completely and utterly lost. "What do you mean you already knew? How? When? What?"

Despite the conversation being about the things that my dead dad has left behind, any weight on our shoulders that revolves around him seems to have been lifted. The atmosphere is light and fluffy and it feels good to be able to talk about him without breaking down.

"It was a couple of days before... you know, before he died. He had an appointment at the hospital and I went with him as moral support. The doctor left the room and I don't know, it's as if his whole world just collapsed. Everything about him was so pessimistic. "If I die..." he was telling me. I was protesting against him even finishing his sentence, but you know what that stubborn man was like. He told me straight out that he would give the lab to you. Don't get me wrong, I was a little hurt that he would choose a minor over me, no offence, but once he explained it to me, I respect his decision.

There's no denying that we had some romantic relations, I will admit to you. And once again, there is no denying that the both of us, you and I, were the most distraught about his passing. But you are stronger than me. Even someone who can't see would be able to see that. It's hard for me to work at the lab, let alone own it. After time, I might be able to. But you're strong. You won't break down in the middle of work. I mean, you're not eighteen so you'll need someone to run it alongside you and I'll happily be that person. But it's you he wants. You can handle the pressure."

My mouth is ajar. This is so much, too much to handle and process. How can I, of all people, run a lab? Everything is silent for a while. No noises in the dim light of the hospital room and not even a peep from the room Rory's in. "I don't know what to say," I whisper as a split second decision to break the quiet.

"Don't say anything," she replies instantly. "Just consider coming to Miami."

What can I say? Nothing but: "Okay. I'll consider it."

"That's amazing, Raven! I am so glad you said yes."

I'm not one to break a promise so here I am, preparing to lose sleep over a decision like this. Well, it's not really my decision to make. It's been done. The only thing that's left up to me is whether or not I'm going over there.