Part 30; For Old Time's Sake

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Now that the weather is getting cooler, it's the time to wear layers and layers of clothing. What does that mean for me? It means better hiding places in my clothes. The handgun can sit comfortably in my boot or in the waistband of my pants without making it obvious. A brown scarf cradles my neck and displays the only bit of color on me today. Black and baggy pants, black combat boots, a black zip-up jacket and a gray hoodie underneath. My hair is tied in a ponytail, different a typical day at school.

You brought a gun to school?!

No because that would be a pretty stupid move by me... it's in the storage bit of my motorbike.

The cool weather brings me a sense of relief, a fresh outlook. But despite me seeming like the Ice Queen, my appreciation for the cold doesn't go hand in hand with my reputation. I shove my hands in my pockets and let out a shaky breath, the vape escaping my lips.

So what's on the agenda for today? Avoid MJ because I went on a secret outing with her boyfriend, avoid Peter because I suggested that we take time apart, avoid Ned because he's friends with the both of them and where they go, he goes, avoid Cassie because she is a traitor, avoid Nate because he's a dickhead, avoid Mr Pinell because he will be desperate to plan this... thing with me and... that's about it!

Sounds simple enough but easier said than done.

The hallway provides me with a warm gust of air. It's an ease after the bone-chilling winds outside. It's not even winter yet!

"Hey Raven!" someone shouts enthusiastically. No one in the history and future of people will be this excited to see me so all I can assume is that it isn't good. "What's up with you today?" they keep calling out from behind me. I roll my eyes and turn abruptly, wanting to shut this person up by any means necessary. When the person's face comes into view, every bone in my body is riddled with panic. Flash continues, a large grin plastered on his face, "how are you doing?"

Avoid Flash too!

Who did he tell? What did he do? Who else knows?!

I grab him by the wrist and drag him into the nearest room without even checking what it is. It's the bathroom... the boys' bathroom. The place is so dirty compared to the female one that it should be considered contaminated. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire school closed down because of this. My nose wrinkles in disgust, "how can you even take a piss here?!"

Flash opens his mouth to retort, something witty presumably, but someone flushes and it is then that I notice the closed stall door. The boy exits and is taken back by my presence. I glare at him intimidatingly, "wash your hands, leave and say nothing of this. Ever."

A confused yet weirded-out look remains on his face and he continuously glances towards me from the corner of his eye but he obeys. Flash seems very nervous, tapping his foot and chewing on his thumb. I stand and keep my eyes on the boy, my arms crossed over my chest impatiently. He closes the tap, pulls out paper from the dispenser, dries his hands and gives us one more strange stare before leaving.

"Her idea, not mine!" Flash calls out after him, then quickly adds, "she's the wack one, not me!" The boy doesn't even hear him, the door shutting behind him before Flash could even say the last few words. He turns to look at me and knits his eyebrows together worriedly, "what did I do now? What do you want from me?!" he squeals, shrinking. If I wasn't here, he'd probably curl up into a ball.

"Did you tell anyone?" I snap.

"Huh?" his face implies he doesn't register what I'm saying.

But I am getting very exasperated with his games now, "did. You. Tell. Anyone. It's a simple question, just answer it!"