Part 9; Take Me Home

The great thing about new friends is that they bring new energy to your soul ~ Shanna Rodriguez

"Cassie," my voice is small.

She press her lips together, "Raven."

We don't say anything for an odd amount of time. I stare at her in shock and she is looking anywhere but at me. Cassie is taller now, much taller. She used to be a few inches shorter than I was, but now she's half a head taller. Her pink complexion is covered by layer after layer of foundation which makes her look just as fake as the other cheerleaders. Her blue eyes are duller than I remember. They used to resemble the ocean on a summer's day but now... they resemble nothing.

She breaks the silence, her eyes now focused on a tree to my left, "it's been a while, huh?"

"Yeah, I guess it has," I reply.

The uncomfortable silence returns and I follow her eyes, avoiding to look at her. The school is basically empty by now and it's just the two of us out in the parking lot with the occasional passing car or swaying tree. "So you're a cheerleader now?" it's my turn to speak now.

"Yeah," she shrugs, "I needed an extra-curricular activity and it seems to be my forte."

I respond with a genuine smile, "you seem happy with them. You fit in well."

The corners of her mouth tilt upwards slightly, "I am and I do."

As soon as she says this, her face falls. I don't pay much attention to it. "I should get going, my mom is going to kill me," I say.

She simply nods. "It was nice to see you," are my last words before I turn around, leaving her standing alone.

"Raven?" she calls out after me.

I stop dead in my tracks and face her instantly. Her eyes scream for hope and they are a little brighter than they were a moment ago. "It was nice to see you too."

It's impossible to prevent the smile that grows on my face and the delight in my guts. Cassie clearly missed me as much as I missed her and it feels like such a relief to know that even though she hangs out with a popular and cocky posse, she's still the Cassie I've always known.

After bumping into her, I am in no mood to put on my suit and stand out from everybody else. Even as I sit on the subway, squished up with dozens of sweaty and older bodies, I am still radiating joy, grinning at anyone who's eyes meet mine.

I don't want to go home. I want to go somewhere else. Even if mom is going to ground me for getting home so late, I find myself hopping off at an earlier stop.

The bell rings as I open the door to Delmar's. I open my mouth to shout a hello to Mr. Delmar, but shut it as soon as I take in what's happening in the bodega. A man stands with his back to me, holding up a gun toward Mr Delmar who wears a frightened expression. Another person stands with his hands up, his brown eyes meeting mine... Peter. He's worried. Another customer sits at a table clearly terrified for her life, their teeth chattering.

I take a small step, trying not to make a noise as my sneakers touch the ground. "Give me the money!" the criminal says. He's definitely inexperienced with his completely exposed face. His hand holding the gun trembles like a leaf.

Another step forward and my eyes meet with Peter's again. He shakes his head, eyes wide, mouthing no over and over again. I put a hand up, signalling for him to shut up.

"I told you to give me the money!" the burglar snaps.

Peter still has his eyes on me. He whispers to me this time, "don't do it!"