Part 52; Hold On

The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. Maybe they always have been and will be. Maybe we've lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them, we've found each other. And maybe each time, we've been forced apart for the same reasons. That means that this goodbye is both a goodbye for the past ten thousand years and a prelude to what will come ~ Nicholas Sparks

"Where are you going, Raven? You can't stop this! You have no business in this!" mom stands up hurriedly, evidently having a head rush.

It's time.

She has to know the truth. Not just a part of it, but all of it. I can't tell whether it's adrenaline speaking or whether it's actually my brain, but it's happening.

"Suit up," I whisper to my watch. The suit quickly spreads out, not Tony's suit, but dad's new suit. It runs down my arms and down my torso and my legs. My arms firmly stand down by my sides and a look of determination and courageousness, plastered on my face.

Mom's jaw instantly drops to her feet, Tony and Cam simply in the background gaping in awe. No one was really expecting this and to be honest, neither was I. Her lips quiver, desperate to get something out, anything, but as I had assumed, she remains silent.

"I have to do this, mom. He needs our help," I tell her straight out. Right now, her opinion on me couldn't matter less. Right now, Peter is out there somewhere, walking right into a suicide mission, alone. It's my turn to help him. I turn my back on her and take a large step outside the door.

Instead of continuing out, I stop. My sixth sense tells me that she's going to say something important. Definitely not something of support, though... perhaps something that will motivate me to prove her wrong. That would be something beneficial.

All she needs is one more chance. A few seconds go by, feeling like hours, feeling like I've left the boy I love to die.

But alas, she speaks. Her voice doesn't seem as confused as the rest of her body seems to be. It's unwavering, strong, independent, motherly. "Your father would be proud of you, Mariposa," she mutters under her breath. "Go save us."

That wasn't what I was expecting. I was correct about the part about motivating me, but not the part about proving her wrong.

I need to prove her right. I need to save us all.

I want to turn around, to embrace her, to thank her for letting me do this, to thank her for having faith in me. But that would be a sign of weakness. Now, of all times, is the time for me to not be weak and to get a move on. "I love you," I quickly utter and bolt outside the door, hearing the clanks of Tony's armor from behind me.

I'm coming.

Below, everybody seems like ants, like insignificant things. All of my focus is only put on the one person who has saved me on countless occasions from everyone, including myself.

"Do you see them anywhere?!" I call out to Tony who I can just see through my blurred vision from the clouds.

"This area looks familiar, we should see--"

"--over there!" I interrupt him urgently.

A flurry of blue, red and white entangle together, arms and webs sprawling out like wild animals. Despite being so high up and having so little oxygen enter my lungs, it feels so much easier to breathe, seeing him still able to put up a fight... even though he thinks he's going to die.

In an instant, he is knocked to the floor, copping a few punches from Mary's fist in his face. This basically knocks the oxygen right out and I prepare to dive down.