Part 28; Waves

Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs ~ William Shakespeare

Please hurry, the text from Rory reads.

I bury my head in my hands, sitting on the subway on the way back from school. Why in the subway? Why not my motorbike? Well you can ask my mom that. Even though it's mine and it's perfectly acceptable, she's not letting me ride it to and from school because apparently it's not good for your new image.

This issue with the money has to be dealt with as soon as I get home. If she's asking me to hurry, she's clearly worried and if Rory, the most carefree person I know, is worried then clearly there is something to be concerned about.

Just add that to my never-ending list of problems.

Back to the most recent problem. Today was Monday of course and Monday meant classes with MJ. She hadn't tried to start conversations with me at all. Peter? He was there alright, several times. But there's a reason why I was crowned hide and seek champion multiple times and it wasn't for my seeking. The train slows to a halt and the doors open automatically, allowing a flood of passengers to enter. Whenever the doors open at this time, it's a frenzy between who's getting on and who's getting off, particularly when someone falls over from the jolt.

An elderly woman slowly enters, walking towards me in dire need of a seat. The jackass next to me seems to be a man in his twenties wearing a Yankees baseball cap on backwards. That one thing says many things about him. I stand up and hold the pole next to the seat, graciously gesturing towards the chair for the woman. "Why thank you. What a kind young lady," she marvels.

My mouth spreads into a bright grin and I shove my way to the doors, waiting impatiently for the doors to open to get off at the next stop. Someone else seems to do the same, but slowly pushing past them instead of my harsh shoulder bumping. They appear next to me yet I pay no attention as to who it is. The next station begins to come into clear view so I decide to let go of the pole and wait directly in front of the door.

Rookie mistake.

The subway begins to slow, but stops suddenly, sending me flying into the arms of the other person. He catches me, his grasp on my arms firm. Much to my surprise, he puts his lips to my ear and whispers, "wait till the next stop." I clench my fists till they turn white, heart accelerating, waiting to punch this person. This is just plain creepy and--

He hoists me upwards and turns me around to face him. He smirks uncontrollably, his dimples appearing boldly. I knew it was too good to be true.

"Hey," he beams.

I can't hide the smile that appears on my face, "hi."

"I haven't seen you around all day, I just guessed that you didn't even come to school," he frowns.

"Oh, I was there alright," I tell him, "I had class with MJ. You should've asked her."

A shadow falls on his face and his smile vanishes into thin air. "Right, I should've asked her," he nods.

"You know that was my stop right?" I try to lighten the mood a little.

"Yes, I am aware."

"So... where are we going?"

"Somewhere."

"What if I had, say... important things to do?"

He raises his eyebrows in amusement, "well do you?"

I smile again, "it can wait."

I'm assuming that where Peter is taking me will only last a maximum of thirty minutes and if it isn't, then I'll just cut our meeting short. Despite this obviously only being a friends thing and just us talking even if it's definitely going to be about deep things, I can't help but succumb to the pit of guilt sitting in my stomach. The possibility that MJ knows about this is slim because I don't think he would've known I was here earlier when he could have told her.