Part 18; Red, Red, Red

It's a lot easier to be angry at someone than it is to tell them you're hurt ~ Tom Gates

I walk as fast as my legs are willing to towards the spot where Peter and I were talking earlier. Much to my relief, it's still the ghost-town it's always been. My legs feel like jelly and I know I'm going to collapse if I don't sit. So I make my way to the bench as quickly as I can and attempt to stop my shaking hands. All I need right now is a cigarette. The craving is overwhelming and I bury my head in my hands. I'm so desperate, I would go and rummage through the bin right now for the packet... if it was actually here. It's gone now.

"Mariposa. I thought I'd find you here," a familiar voice says. My gaze diverts from the floor to the person standing there. In an instant, any desire I'd felt is replaced by a burning fire filled with anger. My hands fall from my face and form fists in my lap. Blood drains from my face and I clench my teeth.

Of all people to discover my spot, Tony Stark has to be the one. "How did you find me?" I spit. Every word is harsh and direct.

He flinches a little but proceeds to speak quietly, "you take after your dad. Going to the quietest places to calm down. It's easy to find the quietest place in school because I used to do the same and--"

"--why did you do it?" I interrupt.

He sighs and crosses his arms across his chest, clearly deflated. "Why did I do what?" he asks- more like mutters-, avoiding my eyes.

"Any of it. Why did you do any of it? The cheating, the investment?" I blurt out.

Tony shields his face from me with his palm. His voice is rough, "I've done things I regret."

"Cut the bullshit!" I snap, "you say you regret these things and how hard it's been for you, but then you go and buy my father's lab from him? It's his. He built it from the ground up. He's your brother, Tony, and his cancer is back and--"

"-- his cancer is back?" his face falls.

My brow furrows, "you didn't know?"

He shakes his head in disbelief. I can't believe I'm the one to break the news to him. "No," he whispers, "I didn't. When was this?"

"I found out during the summer break," I fiddle with my fingers.

An awkward silence fills the atmosphere, the distant chattering barely audible. He lets out a long breath and sits on the edge of the bench, as far as he possibly can from me. "Mariposa, it wasn't me," he murmurs.

I face him, "what do you mean it wasn't you? You didn't buy the lab?"

"I didn't buy the lab, I invested in it. It's still his, but I have a small part in it. But that one was me," Tony drums his fingers on his leg, "I didn't kiss your mom."

I raise an eyebrow, "so it was your lost long twin with his fingers in her hair?"

"She kissed me. I only came over to see your father about something."

I scoff, "yeah that's what they all say."

"Seriously," he laughs coolly, "why would I lie to you right now?"

"I don't know, Tony. You tell me," I scoff and press my hands to my mouth, "if you weren't lying, why would you bring it up now? To me, of all people?"

"Do you seriously think your dad would believe me?" he adjusts the sleeves of his suit, "and well, you're the first of your family I have seen since then. Your mom also refused to see me."

"And why the hell would you feel the need to invest in the lab? It's not like it's a company or anything!" I am grasping for reasons to be mad at him now.