Part 19; The Moth and the Insect

Quit trying to shoot me down, cause I'm invincible. I think you made a mistake, I am a warrior ~ Havana Brown

We're back in the big room, studying our asses off for the academic decathlon finals. I've been given an actual blazer this time; yellow with the Midtown Tech logo embroidered on the left side. Despite the fact that I am technically part of the team, it still doesn't feel like it. Only MJ, Ned and, of course, Peter talk to me out of the bunch that are here.

MJ stands in the middle of the room, pacing back and forth with her arms behind her back. "So we won last year and we'll win again," she declares proudly, "be here at 9am sharp or we will just leave without you and when I next see you, I will slaughter you." She signals cutting off her head with her finger.

"Okay, that's not very--" Mr Harrington tries to stop her, clearly feeling some form of discomfort. But she continues on anyway.

"On that first day, we will probably arrive in the evening so we won't have time to explore, but we can do cool group things," she winks as she says this, "so that's it. Just study like crazy, folks!"

The bell sounds just on time and Mr Harrington closes his eyes and pinches the bridge of his nose, clearly relieved. "Michelle told us everything so there's no need for my input and I will see you all tomorrow," he says, not looking up. I am the first to leave, as per usual. I walk and take off my jacket, shoving it in my bag, at the same time.

Ever since the other day after the incident with Tony, I have managed to avoid both Peter and Pinell... somehow. Peter, mainly because I don't want his sympathy and he is one of the most sympathetic people I have ever met. Sympathy makes me feel weak and broken, as if I'm already not.

And Pinell, for obvious reasons. I need to think about why on earth I agreed to it and mainly, how the hell I'm going to take down Stark. I am clearly not going to kill him because then everybody, including all the other stupid Avengers, will be tailing my ass for the rest of my life. And on top of that, even just the thought of killing someone makes me sick. Torturing or hurting someone is a different story. But taking away their life, taking away their place on earth, hurting people who actually care about them? That's different.

So my legs carry me as fast as they can down the marble floored corridor and out through the gates of hell. I sense someone walking behind me and this urges me faster. "Raven?" the voice calls out.

Shit.

I've avoided Peter for days, why can't I--

"Raven!" they call out again. This isn't Peter.

My head snaps around and I see not Peter, but Nate. He just had football practice, which is an assumption, but a fair assumption to say the least. He's still in his football attire as sweat drips from his hair. His dark brown hair fades into black, drenched in sweat. He runs a hand through it, "I thought it was you."

I laugh awkwardly, "well it is me."

"Listen, I'm throwing a party tomorrow night, at my place. Do you want to come?" he pauses but then quickly adds, "it wouldn't be the worst if you were left stranded..."

Is he... is he flirting?

Is Nate freaking Porter flirting with me?! I think so.

"I'd love t--" I begin to reply but the stupid academic decathlon comes across my mind, "ugh. No. I can't, I'm going to be out of town for the weekend."

"Oh. That's okay," he mutters. I can't tell if it's just me or if he seems... disappointed.

"I really am sorry. I would've come but--"