Part 39; Heal Me

We are now faced with the fact that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with the fierce urgency of now ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

"Here we are," he whispers in my ear while placing me down softly on the floor of his bedroom.

Initially when I agreed to staying at his place, I was intent on walking there. But at this time of the night? He was persistent on slinging our way through Queens. It was pretty fun if anything, but kind of uncomfortable at the same time since you know, he has a girlfriend.

Why was he whispering? Is it that late? My eyes dart to my watch and I am taken aback to see the time displayed as 2:34am. "What were you doing out at two in the morning?" I shoot back at him quietly.

He simply shrugs before lowering himself through the window, "a hero's day never ends..." My mouth opens halfway through his motivational sentence, letting out a massive yawn. He nods towards the top bunk, "go to sleep. We'll talk about this in the morning."

I nod abruptly and climb to the bed. If it weren't for the noise of rummaging coming from Peter, I would have been out like a light. My body turns to the side, wanting to tell him off for making such noise. Instead, it is instantly frozen like a deer in headlights. In the faint light that the moon provides, I can see a brief outline of his toned abs. My eyes remain glued open until he slips on a t-shirt and slides into his bed.

Hm.

The crowd roars as our football team scores a touchdown. Only a minute remains and despite the fact that football has never really been my forte, the adrenaline from the cheers courses through my veins and this is actually quite enjoyable... especially since dad is at this game with me. He chuckles as I stand up to shout something encouraging yet humorous about our captain.

"It's a shocker that I have somehow managed to drag you of all people to a football game with me," he shouts over the loud ruckus.

I take my sit, the grin on my face causing pain in my jaw. "Don't forget about me," Rory pokes her head out from the other side of him, their hands entangled in each other's.

"It's actually fun. We should come out to these more often," I tell the both of them, "just make sure it'll be a good a game as this one is."

Rory leans back in her seat, her smile just as big as mine. Dad winks at me, "maybe next time you could come to these with your boyfriend."

"Who? Peter?" I ask incredulously, "he's a dork. He wouldn't enjoy coming to these."

He shrugs as if he's a genius, "well you wouldn't either. It's not necessarily the event itself but the people you are accompanied by."

I turn back to the game, acknowledging his point. The final siren sounds and half the crowd stands up to cheer. Our team won. My throat sears with pain, I'm screaming that much. Dad and Rory are just as elated. Our first football game out together and we won! The disappointed supporters along with some of the ecstatic ones begin to make their way out of their seats but all of a sudden, I feel inclined to reach into the waistband of my jeans.

So I do it. And inside, the cool handle of the gun pricks my skin. But I pull it out anyways. And point it to the forehead of a very angry looking dad.

"I took the money from mom's bank account without her knowing, alright?!" I shout at him, "she doesn't know, but she and Phil got into a fight and it's my fault. It's my fault for not wanting my dad to die, right?"

"I'm sending the money back. You take it back," dad orders.

"Damnit dad! How else are you going to get this money? When she finds out, mom will understa--"