Part 16; The Future

You don't always need a plan. Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go and see what happens ~ Mandy Hale

My heart shatters at this. She still truly believes that dad had forgotten about her and that's the reason for the divorce. And she seriously thinks that I'm going to forget about her. I swallow and turn to Peter. "Where is your bathroom?" I whisper.

He points towards a hallway, "first door to your left."

I stand up straight and follow his directions there, locking the door behind me. I tap the call button on my mom's contact and my heart rate accelerates as the tone rings.

"Jesus Christ, Raven!" she says, clearly in tears, "where are you?"

"I went to a friend's house, is that so bad?" I answer.

She scoffs, "and you left Cam home alone?! What if something happened? What if--"

"What if what, mom? What if someone broke in? That suburban area we live in? Nothing happens. You never even lock the door!" I snap.

"Please don't talk to me that way, I am your mother," she tells me, bringing an innocent tone.

I bite my lip to refrain from bursting out, "so you know I've struggled with friendships in the past and I've struggled in general in the past. So for the first time when I tell you that I'm with friends, you don't even care. You're not even happy for me. All you care about is yourself, Phil and Cam. And as your daughter, it hurts to think that you don't even care. You aren't even happy."

Tears well up in my eyes but I force them back. She sighs and I can envision her rubbing at her temples, "sweetie, of course I care. I'm just worried."

"Well I'm fine. Is that what you wanted to hear?" I hang up before I can hear her reply and toss my phone onto the countertop.

I don't remember the last time I had a civil conversation with my mom. It always ends up in a fight just like the last time. It always ends with me crying and staying in my room. Well I'm not in my room this time, I'm out with people so I shouldn't be crying in front of them. The tears fade away as my reflection stares back at me. I place my hands on the benchtop to steady my sudden dizzy spell.

My sixth sense tells me that there is a figure hovering outside of the door, so I make sure to not walk out straight away and instead, slightly open the door.

Peter.

Of course it is. Who else would it be?

"Are you okay?" he asks, concerned.

I let out a long breath, "I'm fine. What is there to be unhappy about?"

Shoving past him, I head towards the living room again but he grips my arm and pulls me back towards him. "You know you can talk to me, right?" he reassures me, "even if it's at four in the morning. You can call me and I'll listen."

This boy really knows his way to a girl's heart. I offer him a small smile and to my surprise, he pulls me into his arms, hugging me. If I'm honest, I hate hugs. I hate the idea of them; how you have your arms around someone and how it's like a form of protection. Besides, I'm just not a hugger compared to others. But this time, it's... different. It feels right. I let him hold me and I wrap my arms around his back. I stand on my tip toes and whisper into his ear, "you're going to be trouble for me, aren't you?"

With that, I walk off, leaving him with a faint pink hue in his cheeks.

We watch the rest of the movie and pick it apart. MJ apparently isn't thrilled and falls asleep halfway through it. Ned, Peter and I continue to discuss it in hushed voices, being careful not to wake her. She's scary enough when she's fully awake let alone if we woke her up during a nap.