Part 26; Worth Fifty Bucks

I'm not crying because of you; you're not worth it. I'm crying because my delusion of who were you were was shattered by the truth of who you are ~ Steve Maraboli

Kissing me causes Nate to knock over the popcorn tub. It flies into the row in front of us where it hits Peter in the head. He turns around. My eyes are wide open, but Nate's are closed, indulged. His tongue begs for entrance but I don't allow it. Half of the jocks in the back row roar with satisfaction and the remaining half boo. The noise causes MJ to turn around as well.

"Carter, pay him his fifty bucks!" one of them calls out.

What the hell? I shove Nate back and look at him, appalled. "What does he mean by Carter owing you money?" I snap.

No one is watching the movie anymore and I'm the center of attention for the millionth time. Nate merely looks away bashfully. The others holler as they sense a fight coming on. "Don't look away!" I order, "look at me!"

Nate keeps his head down but looks at me from underneath his eyelashes. "What the fuck do they mean, Porter?" I snap.

"You tell her, Nate!"

"Yeah, tell her!"

"He dead!"

My head snaps up towards them and I silence all of them with a single glare. A pair of crystal blue eyes catches my attention. Cassie stares down towards me with sympathy and that's when I can guarantee that this isn't a good thing.

"Nate. What is going on?" my voice isn't filled with anger anymore, but with sadness. There was a chance that this was going to go somewhere but my gut tells me that after this, it isn't going to. He was such a sweet guy up until this date, where another side of him was put into light.

"It was a bet!" a familiar voice announces. I look back up to see Cassie standing up and looking at Nate with fury. The others all seem exasperated with her for revealing this, but that doesn't stop her. Her face shifts back to a sympathetic expression, "it's a bet."

My face squishes up into something that displays both fury and disgust at the same time. "I'm sorry," Nate says quietly.

"I'm a bet," I tell myself, "am I just a fucking bet to you, Porter?!"

He's taken aback, "I didn't know you were this cool and gorgeous until--"

"--until what? Until you met me and got to know me? Well it seems like you don't know me well because unless you're more pathetic than I thought, you'd know that I wouldn't be okay with this unlike all of those other hoes you've fucked!" I spiral off.

He looks at me in pain, "come on, Raven... please. I really do like you."

I scoff, "you should've thought about that before you decided that I'm worth a particular amount of money like a prostitute or something!"

"Raven, please..." he sounds like a lost puppy. But I don't let it change how I feel about him at this current moment in time.

"Go to Hell!" I hiss through clenched teeth and spin around to storm out. MJ stands up, presumably to follow me and Cassie begins to run down the stairs. "Did you know?!" I spit out at Cassie.

Her face falls, "Raven..."

"Did you know, Cassie?!" my heart pounds against my chest.

She looks broken, "I didn't know it was you..."

"But you knew it was a bet!" I shout in fury, "you still let them treat someone like that, no matter if it was me or not!"

"I'm sorry..." she pleads with her words and with her eyes.