Part 46; Home

She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person ~ E. Leventhal

"I can't believe this is happening," I sigh and stare out the window. The window seat on a plane is always mine, especially since the person I'm travelling with is always desperate to accommodate my every need.

He mimics my sigh before pulling out his headphones and swiping through the selections of movies they have to offer. A goofy grin spreads on his face as he does so, "well you best believe it, because it is happening."

"Peter Parker, you are impossible."

36 hours earlier

A bright light enters the room from the single, small window here. It is so bright, so strong, that each and every single particle of dust can be seen through the stream that the sun brings us. The scent of something delicious and fresh tingles my nose and excites my empty stomach. Cam is still asleep, mom laying on the chair beside him, hands entwined together. Despite this being a hospital room and the heart monitor's noises irritating me for the past day, the room almost has a serene feel to it.

A couple more hours and we can get out of this place.

"I can't believe you stayed the night," my voice is hush, partly because there are still two sleeping beauties who are still asleep and partly because my voice is always croaky when I wake up and I refuse to expose Peter to that.

Peter wanders towards me, a tray filled with coffee and fresh muffins held in his hands. This is what I envision heaven to look like. Hospital food always grosses me out, but since he brought it, it'll taste much better than normal.

"I didn't want to go home. May is on a business trip for a week and she left me with a babysitter," he whispers but so as not to sound self-conceited, quickly adds, "besides, I wanted to stay with you."

My eyes glace over at my family who are still soundly asleep, making gentle snores. Even if we talk quietly, the reoccurring worry of being the reason of their waking concerns me. I turn back to Peter and nod back towards the door, insisting we go and eat outside. He nods, understanding without the need for me to tell him. I open the door, the handle cool to the touch, and wait for him outside. My heart fills with warmth as he takes two muffins, a cup of coffee and presumably a cup of hot chocolate and places it on the table beside the bed.

An angel. Not even an angel can compare to him.

After everything being solved with my mom and Cam being discharged from the hospital today, the doctor recommending some therapy but deeming him well, all that's been on my mind is this thing with dad's will. What else could he have possibly left behind for me? Money, perhaps. God knows that we need it. And he left stuff behind for Cam too. Should we or should we not go? The pros outweigh the cons, but there's still a force driving me back from it.  

"What's on your mind?" Peter asks, interrupting my train of thought.

His hair sticks out at all angles, kudos to the plastic hospital chairs, yet he still looks like a million bucks. Ever since the fight, I've felt closer to him than ever, as if there is an impenetrable bond between the two of us... and it's clear that he feels the same.

I set the coffee down on the table and lick my lips, feeling the cold returning to my fingertips almost immediately. My mouth forms a straight line before I softly tell him, "a lot. I mean, the past week has been crazy."

The smile on his face turns into a frown, not a disappointed one, but more of a curious one. "It's not just that though. There's something else. What is it?"