Chapter Fourteen

Loki returned to find Percy where he'd left him. Loki had been gone a while, but it was clear that Percy hadn't moved. He still sat there on his bed, head in his hands, staring off into space.

"Percy?" The demigod didn't react. "Perce?" Still nothing.

Loki sat down next to the immortal being, concern washing over him. Percy didn't react to the dip in the mattress suddenly as Loki's weight was added.

Was he being ignored?

"You okay?" He asked softly.

Percy mumbled something Loki couldn't catch.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"I asked, 'why me'?" His voice was hoarse and broken. "Why is it always me? What did I do wrong?"

Loki sighed. He had no answer. The world seemed to have it in for the best people. There was something he was told once, but was never sure it was true. "Life does not send us challenges we cannot handle. You may struggle now, you may fail, but perhaps that is because you just haven't found the right solution yet."

"The right solution..." Percy's voice faded. And then it cracked. "But what if there is no solution? What if I'm one of those unsolvable questions? What if there is no solution? What if I'm cursed-"

"Then I'll be cursed right along with you." Loki cut off the rambling demigod, pulling him closer for an awkward side hug, but sometimes and awkward side hug was all you need. "Because whether you like it or not, you're officially stuck with me. No refunds."

Percy sniffled, wiping away a stray tear and laughing quietly, face buried in Loki's shoulder. "Yeah. Okay."

"Now, I have something to tell you." This caught Percy's attention, but he didn't look up, unwilling to meet Loki's eyes. "Tomorrow, I have a plan to get even more of your memories back-"

"Really!?"

"Yes, now hush up and listen. I'm taking you to meet a few people you know. The only thing is, how do I get you out without arousing the suspicions of our lovely resident asshole, Blyke?"

Percy shrugged. He had no idea.

"Too bad if you had an idea. Because I already have one. Tomorrow morning all you've got to do is ask for another if those missions to destroy something, we'll do that first and then meet up with your friends. That way, we steer clear of Blyke's suspicions."

Percy nodded.

"Good. Now rest, you're a mess." Loki pushed Percy's shoulder lightly and without resistance, Percy fell backward onto the mattress. As he did so, he stared up Loki, the sun washing over his features. Loki was right, he did need to rest, despite it barely being midday.

Nonetheless, Percy took the moment to really study Loki, and then he noticed something. It was faint, something Percy would never have noticed in the dark, a place Loki so often preferred to stay.

"What are those?" Percy asked, hand reaching out subconsciously to brush against Loki's lips.

The Asgardian Prince jerked back, retreating into the shadows.