Chapter Twenty-Six

For reasons unknown to him, Loki's eyes began to shut. His vision dimmed and he passed out.

Later, when he awoke, he found them surrounded by creatures he'd been hoping would never find them.

Monsters.

They were surrounded.

They crept closer and closer, fangs dripping, claws sharpened. Forked tongues darted out and low growls echoed around them. Loki could've swore he heard someone yell,

"Have a Cheese 'n' Wiener! They're on sale!"

But he brushed that off as him going crazy and hearing things.

The monsters were almost upon them. There was a huge variety. All drawn to, and focus on them.

Loki wearily pulled himself to his sore feet. He had no weapon, so to speak, normally reliant on his charm.

He was pretty sure these monsters weren't interested in that. Or perhaps his charm was working too well, for they all looked at him like he was food.

Food was something he enjoyed eating, not being.

His ice magic would likely drain him, leaving him open prey for anything else that wanted to stop by for some fast food.

Then they were there and Loki braced himself for attack.

But there was no need to.

The shrill sound of a whistle caught everyone's attention. They all turned to Percy, who was still ever so helpfully unconscious.

He was glowing.

As the sound of a whistle faded so did the eerie blue glow.

There was a howl in the distance, ever getting closer.

A giant dog came charging in, a creature that glowed the same shade of blue riding on its back.  It barked noisily at the sight of Percy. Loki retreated, standing protectively over his frame. But to Loki's surprise, the dog didn't attack them. It attacked the monsters.

Powerful jaws snapped at his enemies, giant paws flinging them to the side. Left, right and centre, golden dust sprayed everywhere, flitting to the ground like snowflakes.

"Good girl," a blue figure atop the dog crooned. She scaled down the side of the big dog. "Good girl!" She ruffled the fur on the side of the dog's ear affectionately.

"Who are you?" Loki demanded.

The girl walked up to him and he expected her to say something, but instead after analysing his features she brushed past him, making a beeline for Percy.

"Hey! Hey!" Loki caught her arm. "Leave him alone."

"No can do." She said airily as she picked Percy up, directing his arm around her shoulder and she struggled back to the giant dog.

Half way there Loki decided to help, figuring that staying on this relentless girl's good side was for the best while she had a monster dog with her. He didn't fancy seeing what kind of dust he'd make.