Chapter Thirty-Four

Percy wasn't expecting the way out of Tartarus to be such a close-quarters, hands-on experience.

With slippery, melting stones of ice, brisk walking- more like stumbling- was most practical. But that meant staying close. Not to mention that as time wore on and they both got more tired, the pair had to hold hands so Percy could continue to transfer energy into Loki so he in turn could make the steps.

They were both breathing heavily as if they'd run 5 miles in a sprint, sweat pouring off their bodies.

Of course they had to rest at some stage. Falling was far quicker and easier than climbing slippery step by step. Sleep was something they could never have. They poured cold water down their backs and splashed their faces to keep them awake. It was hard not to slip away in the warmth that lulled them into the dark.

But when you're climbing you don't really talk, you just don't have the breath. But has nothing to do with the thoughts that swirl in one's mind.

And there was a certain little moment that kept replaying in Loki's mind. A scene by a river. Guilt chipped away at him until in a moment of sleep deprivation, he blurted, "Sorry that I kissed you without telling you!"

Percy blinked.

Once.

Twice.

"KISS! WHAT KISS!?"

It worked better to wake the both of them up than any shock of wintry water ever would. Loki couldn't believe what he'd said. Percy couldn't believe what he'd heard.

In fact, he was so shocked that he forgot to keep giving Loki energy. That very energy was refuelling his powers and keeping him awake.

Loki opened his mouth to respond when he felt his body lost all sense of control, becoming weaker than he'd ever felt. The god promptly fell into darkness, passing out. His body went limp and pitched forwards.

Percy yelped and gripped Loki's jacket from the back but he was being pulled forwards too. He looked up. He wasn't sure if he was hallucinating, but he could've sworn he saw a pinprick of light far in the distance.

So close, yet so far.

As they began to fall, Percy yelled, "Dammit Loki! When I said we needed to talk about things more often, I didn't mean in high risk situations!" If they fell from this height they would surely die.

It was worth a try.

Percy gripped Loki's jacket for all he was worth, drawing the unconscious Asgardian Prince close. If he lost the god now...

His eyes scrunched shut as he focused on nearby water particles. With a gasp he realised they were close to someplace very familiar.

Camp Half-Blood.

With the very last of his energy, Percy latched onto the one water particle, breaking down himself and Loki and rebuilding them around it.

Right in the middle of Camp Half-Blood.

And there they lay, unconscious and half dead, almost scaring the Campers into joining them.

~~~~

AND THEY'RE OUT! Just.

I accidentally wrote 'kids' instead of kiss at one point 😂. "KIDS! WHAT KIDS!?"

Peace,

BTSWD
Borntosingwithdrama