Chapter Thirty-Three

After a further day of resting and preparing, they set out, as ready as one could ever be in Tartarus. Although Damasen said it wouldn't take long, Tartarus was constantly shifting, changing to prevent them from leaving. It wasn't ready to let go of a demigod that once escaped it before.

On the way there they'd done plenty of thinking on how to use the ice to travel. A staircase was too intricate and they needed to last a while. So they agreed on simple stepping stones of ice clinging to the walls. They practiced occasionally along the way.

And finally they arrived. Worn, tired and perhaps with a few extra scratches, but alive.

It was an air vent, like Damasen said. Like a big vertical tunnel. Their exit was up. Perhaps the air would've been helpful had it been cool air. But the air was warm. The ice would only melt faster.

It was a very long way to fall.

Loki wasted no time, starting on the staircase to get them to the elevated wall. The first steps took the most concentration. Loki's features scrunched up as he focused on weaving the ice correctly. He didn't make a habit of using this particular ability.

Percy stood by Damasen, the pair watching as the stair case reached the wall and finally it was time to use the stepping stones.

"Hurry up!" Loki called. Already the steps were beginning to get slippery. Neither of them had thought that slipping would be more of a danger than the melting.

"Gotcha." Percy surged forwards but halted when he noticed Damasen didn't follow. "Damasen? What're you doing? You heard the god, we need to go!" But still the giant did not move. "... Damasen?"

The burly giant smiled sadly at the demigod. "I'm afraid I'm not going, Percy."

Percy felt like he'd stopped breathing. "What? No, stop being stupid, come on."

"I'm staying here. I'll make sure nothing follows you up before the staircase melts. I'd only slow you down and my weight would crack the steps. You can't heal all three of us either." Damasen said, listing the facts. "Without me there, you have a chance."

"Is this about that stupid thing about your fate being bound to Tartarus?" Percy cried, on the verge of bursting into tears. He wouldn't leave his friend behind again. He didn't think he could.

"Of course not! I actually have a reason to stay here. In fact it's a pity you didn't get to meet them."

"Them?"

"Just go, Percy. You'll be okay, and I'll be just fine too." Percy still stood in the same spot, reluctant to leave once again.

Loki could see this was going nowhere so he came down and nudged Percy, grabbing his hand and tugging him up the stairs.

"Farewell, you two! Be safe!" Damasen yelled, waving to them as the two climbed higher and higher.

Percy couldn't stop looking back at the giant. Watching as he faded into a tiny speck. Sadness engulfed him.

He'd left Damasen once again.

But it was a good thing this time... right?

And so the journey to the surface began.

~~~~

I even drew a shitty diagram for how this is supposed to work. Which looks crappy because a) I can't draw and b) taking over photos in a moving car is so much fun.

Do you know how difficult it is to write a serious scene with 'Talk Dirty to Me' playing in the background?

Peace,

BTSWD
Borntosingwithdrama