Chapter Twenty-Nine

Loki had turned around to face him. "I assure you, Percy, that there is nothing wrong with me." And with that, he turned back to the front to keep marching onwards- or he would have, had he not come face to claw with a pointed talon.

"I think I know where we are now..." Percy said weakly, seeming to shrink.

Oh Styx.

Oh no. Ohhh no. No no no no no. Not these guys. Not again.

It couldn't be. No way could Percy deal with these creatures. Out of every single monster down in Tartarus, why did it have to be a group of arai?

Percy staggered back.

He tripped and landed on his back, the jagged ground digging into his skin.

"L-Loki, back away... slowly. Don't touch them." Percy warned. He was unable to keep his voice from quaking.

"Sea Child." They murmured. A single voice shared among them. "Choose your curse. Choose your fate."

Percy swallowed hard. If they did nothing they would die. If they fought then their chances were just as bleak. Perhaps he and Loki could escape like he'd done once in the past, but Percy didn't fancy those chances. The only reason they'd survived in the past was because of Bob.

Bob.

Guilt rushed up to devour him. Percy bit his lip as e felt tears rising.

"Percy! What are they?" Loki yelled, waving a hand in front of Percy's face to gain his attention.

"Curses." Percy muttered.

Because Loki spoke up, the arai turned on him. "We are the curses, the cries of the defeated. The vengeance of the fallen. Trickster, choose your curse. Choose your fate."

"So what, you're witches? You hex people?" Loki asked. He didn't seem to understand.

"No. They are the curses. Don't kill them." Percy pulled himself up to his feet and grabbed Loki's hand. "Now run!"

And Percy yanked Loki along in the opposite direction, Mrs O'Leary bounding beside them.

One arai swooped down at them from above, talons aimed at Loki's face. Sadly, he hadn't exactly brought any weapons with him. You see, he was both in a hurry and not expecting to be thrown into Tartarus of all places. Weapons were not his forté in the first place. He'd rather rely on his wits and trickery. However, these demons were more focused on kill than a nice friendly chat.

So despite Percy's earlier words not to kill them, he instinctively brandished Riptide in its direction, wiping it out. The arai exploded into dust and with a cry of pain, Percy doubled over.

Loki shouted in alarm. "Percy!"

The demigod was gripping his shirt, mouth gaping over as his eyes overflowed with tears.

"The curse of a broken heart." The aria giggled, whispering happily among themselves as they circled closer. Mrs O'Leary growled, batting them away. They simply dodged her giant paws.

But who? Who cursed him? He had many enemies, but why a broken heart? It felt as though his heart were actually being ripped in two, although he was sure that wasn't the case. Images flashed behind his eyes. He could vaguely hear Loki shouting his name.

One curse could knock him to his knees. One curse could kill him.

How weak.