Chapter Twenty-Eight

Who knew how long they'd been trudging around Tartarus for?

Loki had been following Percy through the deepest part of the Earth for so long that he felt his feet might soon drop off.

After that talk, one which Loki was quickly beginning to regret putting out in the open, he spent a good deal of time calming the stressed demigod. Percy had been freaking out since he woke up. Now he was more subdued, however Loki could feel he was trying to keep it contained.

Loki attempted to pick up a conversation. "So where are we going?"

Percy had been leading them, walking with a purpose so Loki suspected Percy might have an idea of where to go.

However, what Loki was not expecting was to be told, "I don't know."

His jaw dropped and he stared incredulously at the back of Percy's head.

"Then can we stop for a bit?" He asked. His feet were sore and he felt worn and hot. He was thirsty beyond belief and all he wanted was a cozy bed and a nice hot bath.

"Nope." Percy said, his voice filled with determination.

"Oh for Chaos' sake! Why not!" Loki snapped. This place was really getting to him, fraying his patience and making him highly irritable.

"Look, I don't know where we're going, but I know what I'm looking for... kind of." Percy snapped back. He understood how Loki felt, feeling the same way himself. If anybody thought he wanted to be here they were seriously incorrect.

Loki rolled his eyes. "And what is it exactly that you're looking for?"

"A sign."

"Oh fantastic, here, shall I paint a stop sign on that rock over there?" Loki's sarcasm was going through the roof. Percy looked hurt.

Loki sighed. "That was uncalled for. My apologies. This is just... stressful."

Percy said nothing.

"How about a better conversation? Who's Aida?" Loki asked, thinking back to the glowing girl.

"Who?" Percy asked, mind blanking on the name.

Loki turned away from Percy's stare. "You know, that glowing blue girl. She came with the dog."

"'The dog' has a name. And that name is Mrs O'Leary."

"Yes, yes, whatever." Loki waved his hand dismissively.

Percy sighed, giving up. He could almost never win with Loki. "She's a kind of Water Spirit, assigned to assist me in whatever way necessary by my father. A sort of apology gift for forcing immortality on me if you will."

"She's rather emotionless." Loki remarked.

"Sometimes." Percy agreed. "Why do you ask?"

"Well..." Loki scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, the kiss popping into mind. "She came earlier, with the d- Mrs O'Leary. She's the one who took us to the river."

"Are you okay? You look kind of flushed." Percy frowned, placing a hand on Loki's forehead. If anything, the god just turned even redder.

He pulled away from Percy's hand, facing away and walking ahead.

"It's just the place we're in. It's no good for me." Loki said. "Hence why it's better we get out of here soon."

"Wait, Loki, something's wrong." Percy reached a hand out, sensing something off about the area. It was familiar somehow. But not in a good way. Not in the way he was searching for.

And then he saw it. A quick shadow, the beat of a batty wing.

Loki had turned around to face him. "I assure you, Percy, that there is nothing wrong with me." And with that he turned back to the front to keep marching onwards- or he would have, had he not come face to claw with a pointed talon.

"I think I know where we are now..." Percy said weakly, seeming to shrink.

Oh Styx.

~~~~

Welp, they're in trouble. Again. But hey, there's just some more fun for me 😁. Not too many chapters left of Book 2 left.

Peace,

BTSWD
Borntosingwithdrama