Chapter Twenty-Two

They all heard Loki's shout of alarm from inside and thus, orders be damned, they rushed inside.

The cabin was empty.

But there was no sign of forced entry either.

Suddenly on high alert everybody quickly picked up on the sound of rustling bushes behind them.

They turned, weapons locked and loaded.

Two teenagers walked out, holding both hands up in surrender, a sign that they meant no harm.

The pair were vaguely familiar to the Avengers, but instantly recognisable to Loki who took no hesitation to growl at them. "Where is he."

"Chill. That's what we're here for. The two of us decided to help." Hamish said, speaking slowly as if they were children. Perhaps not the best approach.

"We come in peace." Lyla spoke robotically, further aggravating the situation. Hamish gave her a look. She rolled her eyes. "We have information."

"What's stopping me from sending a few body parts back to Blyke instead?" Loki loomed threateningly over the pair. Thor placed a hand on his shoulder.

"That won't get Percy back. Blyke doesn't care about us nearly as much as he does the Prince." Lyla retorted snootily. She wasn't nearly as confident now that her use had run out. Her main contribution to the group was her ability to control people. But that was no longer a part of Blyke's plan.

The Avengers grudgingly lowered their weapons, keeping a close eye on Loki to make sure he wouldn't suddenly lash out, but he looked calm and composed.

Lyla was grumbling under her breath as she charged through them into the house. "Stupid mortals. This is hardly a step up from that psychopath. Bunch of idiots."

Hamish nudged her, hard, in the side. She yelped and glared at him.

"Play nice." He pleaded.

Once they were seated Hamish and Lyla began talking. Well, Hamish talked and Lyla interjects here and there with smart-ass comments.

"Blyke's kind of... lost it..." Hamish began.

"Understatement." Lyla mumbled. He shoved her without looking at her. But he supposed he'd have to put up with it. Sarcasm was her defence and he knew that under it all she was scared.

"He's given up on trying to keep Prince Perseus' memories from him, and instead decided to threaten him."

"Which is a dumb idea." Lyla proclaimed.

"Yes, and he decided to do as much by capturing his family-

"Which is a dumber idea."

"Yes Lyla we get it! The plan isn't very smart of him!" Hamish yelled. He understood it was how she coped but it was really starting to grind on his nerves.

"Just sayin'." She raised her hands in surrender.

"Well the more time you spend 'just sayin'," Hamish put quotation marks around the word, "the longer it takes us to get the prince back. And I'm pretty sure he's the only reason we haven't been shot yet." Hamish reasoned.