Chapter 1: First Date

I remember our first date like it was yesterday. He was so focused on doing everything right. He came to pick me up at 4pm. When I opened the door he was standing on my porch with the sweetest smile on his face. In his right hand he had a single faux rose with a red heart gem hanging from the stem.
"Hi." His eyes lit up when he saw me.
His white button up shirt had 3 buttons undone at the top drawing my eye.
"Hi, yourself." I answered eyeing him.
"I found this for you." He offered me the rose in his hand.
"Thank you, Jonny. It's beautiful." I gingerly took the rose from him.
"Press on the top." He told me his eyes bright with excitement.
I looked at him with confusion before I pressed on the top of the rose. It was like a gel texture and as I pressed on the top a strobe light lit up the red gel rose. I smiled as I watched the lights.
"It's perfect. I love it." I smiled at him.
He reached for my hand; I slid my fingertips across his palm. He lead me down the stairs to his car parked in my driveway. He opened my car door and helped me into the passenger seat and smiled at me as he closed the door. I watched him walk around the front of the car. As he climbed into the car he said,
"Ready to go."
I nodded and took his hand. He smiled at me and started the car. He backed out of my driveway and drove us into the city.
Jonny and I didn't often get to spend time out of our homes because of the dynamic of his and Cameron's lives. I met Jonny when I was 8 years old after my father was arrested for serial murder, child abuse and child neglect. Jonny always made me feel safe which was something I'd never felt before I met him.
"What are you thinking about?" His voice broke me from my thoughts.
I looked at him and smiled.
"I'm just thinking about how nice it is to be on an actual date with you."
He smiled and looked back at the road. We had nearly reached our destination.
Being the heir of a large fortune paved the way for many things. For example, being able to rent out an entire restaurant for as long as we needed and paying for the silence of the staff. Not only was I the heiress to my mother's fortune, I was also a certified genius, the director of the FBI and North America's most eligible bachelorette. If people saw me out with Jonny I'd be asked questions I couldn't answer without ruining his and Cameron's lives.
Jonny and I had been dating for three months and he looked at me a week or so ago and asked me how we could go on an actual date. I pulled some strings and now we were sitting outside of a beautiful Italian restaurant just outside of Washington D.C.
Jonny climbed out of the car and walked around the car to open my door. I took his hand and climbed out of the car. His hand rested on my back as we walked to the front door.
"Hello, Dr. Carter." The hostess greeted me as Jonny held the door open for me.
"Hello, Nicole. How is your day going?" I smiled at the beautiful blonde woman.
"It's been quite busy, Doctor. The customers knew we were closing early. So they planned for early dinners. We had the doors closed by 4pm as you asked. The last customer left around 4:15." She smiled at me but had a tinge of fear in her eyes.
Nearly everyone in North America has seen my picture in magazines or on billboards but very few people know me. People tend to automatically assume that because I'm a rich FBI director that I'm stuck up or entitled. I demand respect in the office but after my upbringing I also give respect to all those around me.
"Alexia is fine, Nicole. No need to call me doctor." I smiled reassuringly at her.
She visibly relaxed and her smile reached her eyes.
"Right this way, Alexia and guest." She smiled at Jonny and lead us to a table in a private back room with a small fireplace and a single table for two. Jonny pulled the chair out for me before moving over to his chair across the table.
"I'll be acting as your server as well tonight as to accommodate your request for privacy and security." Nicole told us.
"We've sent the rest of the staff home. It's only me and our head chef, Valerio Calloni, here."
"Thank you, Nicole. May we start with a bottle of Rossaco?" I smiled at Jonny as I spoke to her.
She smiled down at us nodded and left us alone to decide what to order.
Jonny opened the menu, I watched his eyes scan over the menu knowing what he was looking for.
Linguine with clam sauce.
It was his favorite dish that I made at home. He told me that he wanted to see how authentic mine was.
I laughed as his eyes lit up when he found it on the menu.
"What?" He asked teasingly.
I shrugged and smiled at him.
"I really want to try it in an authentic Italian restaurant."
I shook my head playfully and opened my own menu. I found Tortelloni filled with ricotta and spinach.
Nicole walked back across the room with two wine glasses and a cold bottle of Rossacco red wine. She placed the glasses on the table and filled them 3/4 of the way with wine and set the bottle on the table.
"Are we ready to order?" She asked warmly.
I nodded.
"May I have the ricotta and spinach tortellini."
Jonny reached across the table and took my hand.
"And may I have the Linguine with clam sauce."
She smiled again writing down our order.
"We'll have that right out for you."
I smiled but didn't take my eyes off Jonny's.
We didn't need to have the normal get to know you conversation at this first date. We knew each other effortlessly. We grew up together; sharing in our achievements and in our challenges.
"You're gone again." His voice came to me through my thoughts.
I refocused on him.
"I'm sorry, Jonny. I was just thinking about us."
"What about us?"
"About how well we know each other. About the things we've overcome together."
Jonny smiled at me. I could feel his affection towards me coming off of him in waves.
A knock on my office door pulled me out of my memories. I looked down into my hands at the gel rose from my first date with Jonny.
"Alexia?" Jennifer's voice came through the door.
"Come in." I called out.
The door opened and Jennifer stuck her blonde head into my office. Her blue eyes darkened with concern.
"What is it?" I asked narrowing my eyes in concern.
"We just got a call from New York. Agent Daniels says a Cameron Black has been asking for you. He says he can help find the airplane that disappeared with Felix Ruiz was on."
"The one that exploded?"
"I guess he doesn't think it actually exploded."
I closed my eyes and shook my head. I hadn't been up to New York since Jonathan's trial. I talked to him every day but I hadn't gone to see him in the last year.
"Tell her I'll be there as soon as I can." I told Jennifer.
"Do you know Cameron Black?"
"Yes, I do."
I looked back at her.
"He's my fiance's brother."
"I didn't know you'd gotten engaged... I didn't even know you were seeing anyone."
I nodded. I hadn't told anyone about Jonny even when I could. It never seemed like the right time.
"Wait. Wouldn't that have to be Jonathan Black? The guy you represented in his murder trial last year?"
"Yeah, Jen. It would."