Chapter 14: Black Art

"What if I don't want to go to President Cole's birthday party? I complained to Jonathan on the phone while staring at my elegant dress closet.
"Why are you stressing? You're always gorgeous."
"You have to say that."
"Doesn't make it any less true."
I sighed.
"I think I'm going to go with the red strapless wrap one with the slit up to my mid thigh that runs to the floor."
"Are you going to wear the silver strappy heels?"
"Yeah. That's a good idea. I'll probably take the silver purse too. The one with the super thin strap that I wear across my body."
"That's a good idea.  Frees up your hands."
"Exactly. For more champagne."
He laughed.
"How are you doing, Jonny, really?"
"I'm okay, Lexa. I'm frustrated with this coded message Cam brought that this mystery woman left. I can't figure it out."
"Of course you can. You're the smartest person I know."
"No I'm not Ms. 202 IQ score. Spencer's is 197."
"I'm not talking about IQ scores. You're a problem solver. You're going to get it."
"Yeah. I know you're right. How's Cam with the missing ex?"
"As well as can be expected. He's being unreasonable and if he ends up more bruised than he normally is it's not my fault."
He laughed again.
"Last I heard he was supposed to go in with the new boyfriend and use some deception to fool the kidnapper into releasing the girlfriend."
"Yeah, he called to ask me if I think he has intimacy issues."
"Nah. You guys just show love differently than most. Didn't they break up because she thought he was cheating on her with you?"
"Yeah. I still feel bad about that." He laughed.
"No reason to feel bad, you've been trying to get out since before they were together."
There was a long pause on the other end.
"Do you think Cam and I are so fucked up because of dad?" He asked.
"To start, I don't think you and Cam are fucked up at all. I think life growing up was hard. You never talk about your mom and your dad was a tyrant who used unimaginable means to exert his power over both of you."
"There's nothing to talk about, about mom. I don't remember her. Dad never talked about her. There were never any pictures up of her."
"It's not normal for young boys to grow up the way you did. The constant performances and practicing. I remember holding you both more than once on the floor of the Archive because you were so broken and worn out that you couldn't even make it to your bed."
"I remember. You're upbringing wasn't any better."
"Yeah... Having an abusive serial killer for a father isn't so great for a child's development."
"Then you went from that into our home with our tyrant."
"It made us who we are. I watched you grow up from 13 til he died when you were 23. I saw how lost you both were. We figured out how to live this life together. The three of us. We learned how to love in our own ways and from our past we learned who we don't want to be."
"That's true... I love you, Alexia Carter."
"I love you too, Jonathan Black."
A short time later we ended our call so I could shower before I needed to get ready for the President's birthday party.
I styled my hair into an elegant bun, slid into my dress and did my makeup. An hour later I was pulling up to the Roosevelt Hotel.
"Good evening, Director Carter." I was greeted by a young woman in a simple blue cocktail dress.
"You have been seated at the main table on the far left next to the Director of Homeland Security."
"Perfect. Thank you."
I walked over to the rectangular table at the head of the room. The table was set for six, all facing out towards the other tables. Next to my assigned seat sat Director Peter Mason, a short and stocky man with messy blonde hair and big brown eyes that lit up when he saw me.
"Director Alexia Carter." He said reaching out to shake my hand.
"Director Peter Mason. I've heard many things about you."
"All good I hope."
I was lying, I'd never heard a word about this man or Homeland Security. I'd always hated the politics of this position. Sitting in the two chairs on the far right were Director Luke Kent of the CIA, a short, skinny man with spikey black hair and heavy, sunken brown eyes; and Director Erin Navarro of the Secret Service, a  tall, large chested woman with bright green eyes and strawberry blonde hair in a high ponytail. In between us were two empty chairs seemingly for the guest of honor and his wife.
The President of the United States Justin Cole, a tall, athletic man with curly medium length brown hair and wide sparkling crystal blue eyes. His wife Anne, a thin delicate woman with wild frizzy brown hair and dark grey eyes. Walked in looking elegant and almost regal. They took their seats at the table. He gave a brief speech I wasn't really paying attention to and then dinner began.
God, I hated this. It would have been 20,000 times better if Jonny was here. After desert we were allowed to mingle amongst ourselves.
"Director Carter." The President's voice called to me.
"Mr. President. Happy Birthday."
"Thank you for coming. I can't help but notice you seem a bit uncomfortable."
"I'm perfectly fine, sir. I'm not very good at politics. I like using my position to help people."
I could feel my phone vibrating in my purse. I dug it out and glanced at the caller ID.
KAY DANIELS
"I'm sorry, sir. I have to take this."
"Carter." I said into the phone.
"Alexia... Director... Cameron's been taken."
"I'm sorry. What?"
"Jonathan was on the phone with him and he got surrounded by people, then the line went dead. Jonathan tried to call back but he didn't answer."
"Okay. Okay. I'm on my way back to the office." I told her rushing towards the door.
"And Kay... Go get Jonathan."