Chapter 7: Fundraiser

I'd called ahead to my personal stylist to pick out one of my party dresses for the fundraiser. She chose my classic red wrap, floor length halter dress. With it I wore a matching pair of stiletto heels, my Swarovski crystal heart bracelet and matching necklace Jonathan gave me on our 3rd anniversary. Along with my engagement ring I wear my mother's family ring, a classic platinum ring with 40 small diamonds, on my right ring finger. We pulled my waist length velvet brown hair into a loose elegant bun with one small wave framing my face. Simple makeup with a soft red lip rounded out my look. I stood at my floor length mirror in the entryway and took my selfie for Jonny. I loved dressing up for these occasions and I knew he loved seeing me all the time but particularly when I dressed up. I grabbed my silver clutch purse as I walked out to the waiting limousine.
The drive from Vienna to the National Geographic Museum in Washington DC only took a half hour. I sent Cameron the picture I took and tried my best to relax. These fundraisers were fine but ultimately they were being used by Congress to show the people where my loyalties lie. They're convinced I'll run for president some day.
I thought about my phone call with Jonathan that afternoon. A much more pleasant one than the day before.
"Hey, beautiful." He answered.
"Hey, handsome. How are you, my love?"
"Better today. I thought about everything you said yesterday. You're right, Lexa. We're a team and I know how hard you're trying to help me. I screwed up letting her get to me that night. I should have never put myself in that position. It's weighed on you and on Cameron; you two are the most important people in my life. You're the only people who have stood by me through this and everything that happened when we were younger. I trust you, Alexia, and I trust Cameron and I know we'll figure this out."
"I love you, Jonathan." I said practically speechless.
"I love you too, Lexa."
The limousine pulled up to the front of the museum. The red carpet was rolled out leading to the front door and the paparazzi lined the velvet ropes. My driver came around and opened my door. He reached out to help me climb out of the car. The voices were deafening, throwing questions at me left and right. Instead of answering the questions I couldn't hear I smiled and posed for the cameras.
After about 10 minutes I made my way into the museum; a trail of questions following me.
Once inside I was greeted by the President of Woodly House, Jasmin Day.
"Director Carter. Thank you so much for coming."
"Of course, Ms. Day. I'm here to show my support to your amazing charity." I smiled at her.
I took in her shoulder length black hair and hazel eyes, her strawberry pink dress hung from her shoulders, hugging her waist and flowing down to her ankles.
"Come this way, there's someone I want you to meet."
She leads me over to a woman with long dark hair with her back to us.
"Marianne!"Ms. Day greeted the strange.
She turned to look at me. She was attractive with crystal blue eyes which looked slightly out of place against her olive skin.
"Director Carter. This is Marianne Waller. She says she knows your friend Cameron Black."
"Is that so? How do you know, Cameron." I asked her looking her over. She wore a simple black dress with cap sleeves and a scoop neckline.
"We met while he was touring with his father when he was young, in Reykjavik."
"I remember the tour. He was very proud of that show in particular." I told her, knowing full well that Cameron was never in Reykjavik.
Cameron got sick and stayed behind with me while Jonathan went ahead with their father. He actually hated the Reykjavik show. After we started dating he told me it was because I wasn't there.
"It's a pleasure to meet you Ms. Waller."
"You as well, Madame Director."
I smiled as a man called my name from my left.
"If you'll excuse me." I placed my hand on her shoulder as I walked toward the older gentleman who called my name.
"David. It's good to see you."
"I wasn't sure you'd make the trip back."
"I said I'd be here. Jonathan understands." I told my lead profiler.
"Of course he does. He knows you're doing all you can."
I smiled at him thinking about the task I gave Connor.
David and I continued to mingle with the rest of the contributors.
Around 10p.m. a young man came up to me and handed me a letter.
"A woman asked that I give this to you, Director."
"Thank you." I answered as Jasmin Day began her speech.
"Thank you everyone for coming together to support this amazing charity. I created this charity as a means to help others suffering with mental illnesses that are unable to support themselves. I know many of you suffer silently with one or more of these invisible illnesses. Anxiety. Depression. Autism. Among many others make everyday life harder and at Woddly House we help provide housing, medications and doctor visits for those who are unable to provide those things for themselves. With each and every one of you providing us with funding and support we will be able to help people get the care and help they deserve. Thank you."
We applauded as she descended from the stage. I looked at the letter in my hand and opened it.
Director Carter.
Let the game begin.
M.W
I heard the explosion right before my vision went white and felt a sharp pain in my right side before everything went black.