Chapter 35: One More Light

Sitting in my office, staring at the wall later that afternoon trying to decide what to do next. I knew I had to talk to Jonny and Cam before I made any solid decisions. Then came a knock at the door.
"You wanted to see me?" Derek asked sticking his head into my office.
"Yes. Come in and sit down." I answered turning to the door.
He complied, looking at me questioningly.
"Why didn't you tell me that a woman came in looking for me claiming to be my sister?" I asked calmly.
"All those years ago? I didn't think much of it." He answered.
"You didn't think it prudent to tell me that you told a woman looking for her sister that she never knew she had that I didn't want anything to do with her?"
"Okay. Maybe I shouldn't have phrased it that way but why would you want to deal with some crazy lady like that?"
"That crazy lady was, Jasmine Dorian, my half sister, who is right now sitting downstairs in counterterrorism holding."
"As I said crazy."
"She was hurt. Her mother died. Her home got foreclosed on. Her brother's wanted nothing to do with her and then you tell her that her sister whom she's never met doesn't want anything to do with her either. You didn't come to me and ask me? Nothing."
"I didn't think it'd matter."
"Every action has a reaction. I'm not going to move to prosecute her. I don't think we have enough evidence to get a conviction."
"You can't do that!" He screamed at me.
"Of course I can. It's my case. I can do whatever I'd like."
"What about what Jonathan and Cameron think?"
"I can handle my fiance and his brother. They know I know what I'm doing."
"Do you?" He challenged.
"Maybe not. I thought I knew you but clearly I was wrong."
"I'm not sure you ever knew me. You've never looked at me."
"What are you talking about?"
"When I met you I thought we had a connection, but you never looked at me. You only had eyes for that magician."
"When I met you I was already talking to him. We were making moves to make our relationship official within our group."
"No one outside of your group knew he existed."
"Who cares, Derek? I knew. I made my decision long before you. We didn't make it official until after I turned 20 because of our age difference but we've been soulmates all my life.
"Even if that weren't the case, you are my employee, nothing more."
"I'm the one that told her Jonathan would be in New York that night. I heard she was trying to get even with you and I thought if he went to prison then you'd leave him."
I stared at him blankly for a long while.
"I think you need to take some time off. Decide where your loyalties lie. Leave your gun and your badge and come back when you've decided to stop thinking selfishly."
"You can't do that."
"I can fire you for less. Get out of my office. Now."
He dropped his gun and badge on my desk.
"You're making a mistake."
"Sounds like you think I make a lot of them. I never saw you as the jealous, vindictive type but if that's the path you're choosing to take then you won't be doing it here."
He slammed my door as he left.
I tossed my head back and sighed.
*KNOCK KNOCK*
"What?" I called aggressively.
"Are you okay?" Jonathan asked opening the door.
"Kind of." I sighed reaching for him.
He walked over to me and took my hand.
"Talk to me, my love." He let go of my hand long enough to pull a chair around to sit in front of me.
"Derek slammed into me as he walked away. What's going on?"
"Jasmine came here looking for me after I got my promotion and Derek sent her away. He sent her after you in New York to try to break us up. I didn't picture him as vindictive."
"I don't think he is, Lexa. He truly believes he's better for you than I am."
"He's wrong."
"I'm inclined to agree." He smiled.
"Jonny. You trust me, right?"
"Of course I do."
"You trust my judgment?"
"Yeah, Lexa."
"You know that I only make decisions based on truth not on personal feelings?"
"Alexia. What's going on?"
"I'm not moving to prosecute Jasmine."
"Okay. You stood behind me because you knew that I was being honest with you. I know you talked to her this morning. Your judgment got me out of prison when I didn't deserve to be there and if you don't believe that she deserves to be there then neither do I. Yeah, prison was hard but it made us stronger. And I don't trust her like you seem to."
"I just understand anger and pain. I understand being afraid and alone and broken. I was a lot younger than she is but I understand it. She needs love and support. She's my sister."
"Yes she is and she'll come stay with us."
"Are you sure? We haven't even talked to Cameron yet."
"I don't think we'll need to. Cam will follow my lead and everyone else will follow him."
"I hope you're right."
"If not I'll convince him that this is the best way to let her convince us she's sincere."
"What about Seattle? If it gets out that she was involved they'll be calling for her head."
"Alexia. I know that you always do things by the book but in order to pull this off we can't include that in any report. We have to put it all off on your father."
"I can do that."
I looked into my love's eyes.
"Will you go talk to Cam and the team before I bring her home?"
"Of course. Whatever you need."
"I'm so grateful for your faith and support."
"I told you last night, baby. I'm standing by you. We're going to get through this together."
"I love you, Jonny."
"I love you too, Lexa."
He kissed my forehead. After he left I returned to counterterrorism to talk to Brianna.
"I'm not pursuing prosecution for Jasmine Dorian." I told her walking into her office.
"I figured you'd decide that. I believe her too."
"Derek's pissed about it."
"Eh. He'll get over it." She laughed.
"Jonathan thinks we should take her in."
"It's not a bad idea. Keep her close. Reintegrate her into society with the love and support your family has to offer her."
Brianna and I walked down to where Jasmine was waiting. Back in the white top and black slacks she was wearing in Britain.
"What is this?" She asked me.
"Jonathan and I discussed it and we've decided you'll stay with us until you get on your feet." I said with a small smile.
"What about the things I've done?"
"What things?" I asked eyeing her.
"I don't understand."
"You're family. You'll come to find that we look after our own."