Chapter 31: Connection

I reached over towards Jonathan's side of the bed as I woke Sunday morning but didn't find him. As I sat up he came back into the room carrying a tray. I looked at him confused.
"Happy birthday, baby." He said with a small chuckle.
I sighed. I really forgot my own 26th birthday. I smiled at him.
"You spoil me."
"Better get used to it, love. You deserve to be spoiled."
He set the tray in my lap and climbed back into bed with me. He made steak and scrambled eggs with buttered english muffin.
I leaned against him as we shared my breakfast.
"Our first stop is Calm Waters Spa."
"That's sounds wonderful." I smiled.
After a quick shower I dressed in a pink tank top with a dreamcatcher printed on it a pair of blue jeans and my own leather jacket. I grabbed my phone as we headed out the door.
"Leave the phone, Lexa. Today it's just us."
I smiled at him and returned my phone to the table and took in the sight of him in his jeans and red sweater.
Upon our arrival Jonathan and I were lead to a milk and honey whirlpool bath.
"My name is Jessica and I'll be taking care of you during your stay. What kind of smoothies would you like to enjoy during your bath?" A petite woman with stark black hair and hazel eyes asked with a warm smile.
"Peanut butter banana for me." I smiled back at her.
"I'll try the strawberry shortcake." Jonathan said.
After she left Jonathan floated over to me and wrapped his arms around me. I rested the back of my neck on his shoulder as he held me.
"This is incredible, Jonny." I sighed as he pressed his lips to my cheek.
"Oh, my love, we're just getting started." He teased as Jessica returned with our smoothies.
After a half hour soak Jonny and I were given plush bathrobes and lead to the massage room. Lit candles lined the walls casting a soft glow around the room.
Jonny and I relaxed with a white sugar honey polish, scalp treatment, and full body masaage before our wild berry facial. For lunch we had scallop ceviche and lemon kale salad with sparkling apple juice.
"You really went all out, didn't you babe?" I asked taking his hand across the table.
"Dinner will be the best part I think." He smiled coyly.
"I love how much thought you put into this."
"I'd do anything to make you happy." He smiled again; a soft smile with love in his eyes.
"I love you, Jonny."
"I love you too, Lexa."
After lunch we were whisked off to the paraffin hand and foot treatment preparing us for our shellac manipedi, well mine was shellac,  Jonny stuck with no polish. He'd chosen my polish color before we arrived. Red base and black tips for my fingers and straight red for my toes. Finally they ushered me away from him for the haircut I'd been complaining about wanting, from waist length to mid back before styling it in long curls that framed my face. A simple mineral make up application and  my simple red floor length strapless floor length dress and strappy sparkly silver stiletto heels, Jonny supplied the spa with rounded out my spa experience.
I met Jonny back out in the lobby. He was dressed in a white button up shirt with three buttons undone at the top and a pair of dark jeans. In his right hand was a small crystal red rose with two small leaves coming off the stem. He offered it to me.
"I found this for you." He said with a playful smile.
"It's perfect, Jonny." I said taking it gingerly from him.
He offered me his arm which I took and we walked out to the car.
An hour later we pulled up to Puro Crepuscolo Smeraldo. The Italian restaurant we'd gone to on our first date.
I smiled to myself as he walked around to open my door for me.
We walked hand and hand into the busy restaurant and were seated quickly at the same table in the back room.
"You planned all this?" I asked quietly.
"Everything. Down to the wine and entrees we shared that night."
"You really are incredible, Jonathan Black."
"You are my whole life, Alexia Carter."
"And you are mine. I love you so much."
"I love you too. Forever."
When we arrived home later that evening I wasted no time taking Jonathan back to our bedroom. I pressed my lips to his and pulled him onto the bed on top of me. We worked together to remove his shirt and pants before he pulled me up to unzip my dress letting it fall to the floor. His rough hands trailed down my arms to my hips pulling me back against him; his lips leaving kisses down my neck and across my shoulders. I turned slowly in his arms and ran my fingertips down his chest pausing briefly on his scars until I reached the long scar across his left side. I rested my whole hand on it before looking back up into his eyes. He leaned down and kissed me again and I was lost in him.
Making love with him was easy.
I woke too early the next morning still laying against his chest. I returned my attention to the long scar on his side.
"You remember how I got that one?" His voice was husky.
"Of course I do. I really thought you were going to die."
"But I didn't, because of you."
"You were 15 and he didn't care. That rope broke and the sword flew at you and my heart stopped. You were bleeding everywhere. I remember the fear on Cam's face as your father dragged him out to another performance."
"At ten years old you shouldn't have had to save my life like that."
"At 15 years old you shouldn't have been put into a position to need someone to save your life."
He kissed the top of my head.
"So I've been thinking about the wedding." I said.
"Uh oh."
"I just want to bounce some ideas around. I was thinking about plum purple for the bridesmaids dresses then blue boutonnieres for the groomsmen. Purple aisle flower arrangements then hanging blue arrangements in between the purple ones. Then a blue, purple and white archway at the altar."
"That sounds perfect baby."
I smiled up at him.
"For the cake I was think four tiers alternating blue and purple with silver fondant ribbons around the base of each tier and white crystal designs."
"Wonderful Lexa."
"You don't care, do you?" I laughed.
"I care that you care." He smiled innocently.
"One thing you absolutely have to do."
"What's that?"
"Write your vows."
"That won't be a problem." He smiled at me.
The shrill sound of my cellphone ringing downstairs broke our moment. I sighed.
In my plush robe I walked down the stairs to the table. 20 missed calls; all from the office.
Dammit.
"Alex." Brianna answered on the first ring.
"I see you called. More than once."
"I know you're still on vacation but I really need you to come down to the office."
"Why? Is something wrong?"
"It's about your Mystery Woman."
"Okay. I'll be there soon."
"I have to go into the office. I won't be gone long." I told Jonny walking into our bathroom.
I took a shower and dressed simply before leaving the house.
A half hour later I pulled up to FBI headquarters and made my way to counterterrorism. Brianna looked up as I walked in.
"You're here. Good. I have to show you something."
"Okay, Bri. What's up?"
"We ran Mystery Woman's fingerprints through AFIS and came up with nothing so we ran her DNA through CODIS and still nothing."
"Did you really call me out of vacation to tell me we have nothing?"
"No, Alex. I took a chance and ran her DNA through some other databases and came up with a familial hit."
"To who?"
"To you."