Chapter 9: Reunion

A week later I drove myself back to New York; straight to the prison. I talked to Jonny on the phone every day since I woke up after being admitted to the hospital, but it wasn't enough for either of us. Every time I'd nearly died before this he"d been the one by my side when I woke up. Cameron was always happy to allow him to comfort me.
Jonny was in his private work room we gave him after he assisted in the apprehension of Felix Ruiz when I arrived. He knew I was coming back to New York but I didn't tell him I was coming to see him.
"Cam. Can you hand me that pen?" He muttered without looking at me.
I grabbed the pen off the table and walked it over to him.
"That's the first time I've ever been mistaken for your brother." I said handing it to him.
He turned on his heel to look at me without taking the pen.
"Lexa." He breathed wrapping his arms around me.
"I didn't know you were coming."
"I know. I made the decision in the car."
I smiled burying my face in the crook of his neck.
"I'm sorry, Lexa. I don't know what she wants from me."
"Hey. I'm okay. We'll figure it out. Whatever this is, we'll figure it out. We'll get her."
He pulled back from me a little and pressed his forehead to mine.
"Are you sure you're okay?"
"It's not the first time someone's tried to blow me up. Come here. Let's sit down. I need to ask you something."
He followed me to the table in the center of the room. He pulled his chair around to sit next to me.
"What's wrong?" He asked and I shook my head.
"Nothing's wrong. Do you remember your time in Reykjavik?"
He tilted his head slightly to the side.
"Not really. I remember Cam got sick so you stayed with him and dad and I went to finish the tour. We were like 16. Why?"
"There was a woman at the fundraiser that claimed she knew Cameron from his time in Reykjavik. Cameron thinks she's the one that set you up... and the one who planted the bomb at the museum."
"Do you think she tried to kill you because we met in Reykjavik?"
"I'm not sure, Jonny. Cameron thinks she set you up because she thought it was him in Reykjavik and she wanted to get you out of the way; get him vulnerable. If she realized it was you and if she somehow knows that we're engaged, it's possible that she wants me out of the way." I sighed.
"One thing doesn't add up to that though." I said looking up at him.
"She had a letter delivered to me before the bombing that said, 'Let the game begin.' If she wanted me dead the letter doesn't make sense."
"Maybe she doesn't know it was me that she met. Maybe she sees you as an obstacle for her to overcome to get to Cam. You guys have always been close."
"That's true. Let's make sure she doesn't realize it was you."
"I couldn't agree more. She hurt you enough."
I smiled at him and reached for his hand.
"We'll figure this out. Since the bombing I've petitioned the Supreme Court to allow me to use FBI resources to investigate this and it's connection to your case. The ruling will come down by Friday."
He nodded and squeezed my hand.
"Do you think they'll rule in our favor?"
"I laid out a solid case. I only need to convince 5 of the 9 Justices that this might be connected and that it is an avenue that needs to be explored.
"I'm hopeful but we'll only know when they bring down the order."
I leaned over and pressed my forehead to his shoulder.
"I should go, my love. I need to sleep before getting back into the office tomorrow."
He raised his hand and laid it onto my neck.
"I love you, Alexia." He said pressing his lips to my temple.
I raised my head and looked into his eyes.
"I love you, Jonathan."
I pressed my lips to his, running my fingers through his hair. I deepened our kiss, feeling his tongue push gently into my mouth. His hands pulled me closer to him as I wrapped my arms around his neck.
I finally broke our kiss and smiled at him.
"It's been a long time since we've kissed like that." He said breathless.
"I need you to come home so we can explore that some more." I smiled.
"I definitely need that too." He told me.
"Will you call me when you get to the house?"
"Of course. I'll see you soon, babe."
I got up and walked back out of the room.