Chapter 42: All In

A few weeks later I laid on the couch in Jonny's arms watching Aladdin for what felt like the hundredth time since I'd been home from Kay's bridal shower when my eldest son walked up to the couch.
"Mommy, are you and daddy going to get a divorce?" He asked.
"What? No. Why would ask that, sweetheart?" I sat up looking at our boy.
"Sky Bell said his parents are getting a divorce... What is a divorce?"
I felt Jonny trying to stifle his laughter underneath me.
"A divorce is when married people decide they don't want to be married anymore." I explained.
"Are you and daddy married?" He asked.
"Yes. Daddy and I are married and we're happy. We're not going to get a divorce, okay?" I answered.
"Okay, mommy." Our son smiled at me.
Jonny sat up and wrapped his arms around me.
"Mama! Mama!" Sammi cried from the floor signaling the end of the movie again.
Jonny started the movie from the beginning and held me tight.
"How are you feeling?" I asked cuddling up to him.
"I'm okay, baby. Healing nicely."
"You know that's not what I mean."
"I know. The nightmares are intense but you know that. It helps waking up next to you. It always has." He kissed the back of my neck.
"You've been having them too." He stated.
I nodded.
He moved so my back was resting against his thighs.
"How are you doing?" He asked looking at me.
"You're much more involved in this than we are. Legally, anyway."
I smiled at my husband.
"I'm okay. It's kind of intense but DA Maxwell is doing a lot more than I am."
"Speak of the devil." He smiled at me as he handed me my phone.
"Director Black." I answered while Jonny played with the fingers on my left hand.
"Hi, Alexia. I've been doing some thinking. Jonathan and Cameron were, what 20 when their father died, right?" He asked.
"Yeah, Oscar. So?" I smiled at Jonny as he messed with my engagement ring and wedding band.
"In cases of child abuse the statute of limitations is 7 years after the abuse or 7 years after the child turns 18." He continued.
"Right. But Jonny and Cam are 37 and I'm 32 it's well over the statute." I sighed.
"You'd be right if he didn't fake his death 15 years ago. We can argue that none of you were given the chance to report him before he died."
"Are you saying we can prosecute him for what happened up until 2007?"
"I think we can. Even if he didn't fake his death specifically to avoid prosecution it's a direct result. It won't hurt the case for Jonny's abduction and assault either. I'll take it to the judge in the morning."
"Let me talk to the boys first. We'll get back to you." I answered.
"Of course."
I hung up and looked at my husband.
"Call Cam and see if Kay can help Dina watch the kids so we can all talk."
He nodded looking at me with wide eyes.
"It's okay, baby. It's not necessarily bad. We just have a decision to make." I kissed him.
About an hour later Auntie Kay and Auntie Dina took the kids out to the park so Uncle Cameron, Daddy and I could talk.
I curled up in the corner of the couch with Jonny next to me and Cameron on the far end.
"DA Maxwell called today and had an idea I think we should consider. He thinks that because Sebastian faked his death before the statute of limitations was up on his crimes that the courts will allow for him to be tried for those crimes." I said watching my husband and brother in law's faces.
"Do you think we'd be able to convict him?" Jonny asked, his face calm.
"We'll each have to testify. We'll have to tell the court what he did to us in as much detail as possible. They'll need access to our medical files up to his faked death in 2007. We'll have to give them access to the cabin near Black River, the archive in the upper east side and the house in Rochester."
"But do you think he'll be convicted?"
"If the judge agrees to let us charge him, yes. I think he'll be convicted and he'll go to prison for the rest of his life."
"It's just going to be a lot of dragging up memories."
"Him just showing up dragged those memories, we have nothing to lose." Cameron said clearly shaken.
"Jonny?"
"I'm in if you are." He looked at me and took my hand.
"It's worth a shot." I squeezed his hand.
He nodded and smiled at me.

Secret Deception (Jonathan Black's Love Story)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें