Chapter 28: Keeping Score

Dressed in a sapphire blue satin long strapless sweetheart dress with an open back and diamond accents I descended the stairs in my home to find Jonathan at the bottom of the stairs dressed in a white long sleeved button down shirt and navy slacks.
"You look stunning." He said with a smile.
"You look fantastic. Reminds me of our first date."
We met with our photographer out in the garden.
"Director Carter. Mr. Black." She greeted us warmly.
"Alexia and Jonathan is more than fine, Ms. Matthews." I said smiling at her.
"Arianna."
We shared a smile.
"Come this way." She said leading us over to a large tree in the yard.
She positioned us in between two large roots from the tree. My waist rested between Jonathan's elbows while his arms wrapped around me. My dark chocolate hair flowed in waves down my back and over his arms. Our first picture was taken while we stared into each other's eyes; my left hand and engagement ring clearly visible on his shoulder. The second picture was a kiss with my left hand on his face.
"Let's move over here." Arianna suggested.
She gestured over to the large round three tiered water fountain.
"Jonathan. If you'll sit on the fountain, there. Then, Alexia. If you'll sit on his lap with your arms around his neck and look right into his eyes. Yes. Just like that." She said.
We concluded our photo shoot with Jonathan standing behind me; his arms around my waist and his chin resting on my right shoulder. My hair was pushed over my left shoulder and my left hand came up across my chest and rested just below Jonny's face. Showing off our engagement ring. This would be the picture we sent to the press along with our Save the Date for our engagement announcement.
"Thank you so much for doing this on such short notice, Arianna." I said as I wrote her check while she packed up her camera.
"Are you kidding? Every photographer in the nation wanted to take these pictures. I'm honored." She looked at me wide eyed.
"So, I imagine the wedding itself would launch your business into the stratosphere?" I said teasingly.
"Of course." She laughed.
"I'll send you the date after the announcement."
"What? Are you serious?"
"Of course. I love your attitude. You treated us like a normal couple. We appreciate that. We'd love for you to photograph our wedding."
"Oh my gosh. Thank you."
"Thank you. We'll let you know as soon as we can."
"I'll keep my calendar clear."
"American heiress and FBI Director Dr. Alexia Rose Carter announced her engagement to Mr. Jonathan Christopher Davis Black Friday morning. Mr. Black is a world class magician and talented photographer. The couple released their Save the Date with a photograph from up and coming photographer, Arianna Matthews. The date they've set for their wedding is Saturday, March 30, 2019 giving us just six months and 26 days until the wedding event of the century. Next week, Jonathan and Alexia will sit down with our very own Hillary Mills to discuss all things Alexia and Jonathan on Monday, September 10th. Yes. Just one week from today." Lance Snow said through the tv on Monday night for the one thousandth time since our announcement.
"Honey. Turn that off please." I called to Jonathan from the kitchen.
"I vote we watch movies and Netflix until after the wedding. He said coming up behind me.
"I second that." I laughed.
"The only reason we even agreed to do their interview is because they were the first ones not to mention your exoneration." I sighed leaning back against him.
"I know." His arms tightened around me.
"I have something I want to talk to you about." I said.
"South Haven Castle is in South Haven, VA and I'm thinking it's perfect for the wedding. What do you think?" I asked handing him my phone.
"You know I just want you to be happy. Whatever you think is perfect to me."
"Is there anything special you want out of this wedding?"
"Just one."
"And what's that?"
"You. By my side." He kissed my neck.
"You'll always have that."
The following Monday Jonathan and I dressed simply for our interview. I wore a white knee length dress with deep purple lace accents at the top and bottom. Jonathan wore dark jeans and a blue polo shirt.
"Dr. Carter. Mr. Black. It's a pleasure to meet you both." Hillary Mills greeted us warmly.
She stood a couple inches shorter than me and had a lean figure with a fair complexion. Her emerald eyes sparkled while her straight blonde shoulder length hair shined.
Jonathan and I sat side by side on a small black couch in the center of a green carpet. Ms. Mills sat across from us on a black chair.
"This is Hillary Mills reporting live from the studio with the interview of a lifetime. Here with me are Dr. Alexia Carter and Mr. Jonathan Black. The newly engaged couple have agreed to take time out of their busy schedule to sit down with us and answer your questions." She smiled brightly at us.
"It's our pleasure truly." I answered taking Jonathan's hand.
"First, why don't you tell us how you met?"
"It was a long time ago. I was eight and Jonathan was 13, so just about 18 years ago. Most people don't know that my father is serial killer, Eric Dorian. Jonathan's father was his best friend before either of us were born so when my father was arrested. Jonathan's family took me in."
"That's incredible. What about the moment you knew?"
"I knew the minute I laid eyes on him. I was young but I knew he would be incredibly important to me." I answered.
"Honestly, I did too. Even at 13 I knew I'd love and protect her for the rest of my life." Jonathan added.
"How was the proposal?"
"It was perfect. We've been engaged for going on four years now. Certain things delayed our announcement.
"Jonathan took me on our favorite hike to Cascade Falls and proposed at the top of the waterfall at sunset. It was magical."
"That sounds amazing. Now, the most important question. What are the wedding plans?"
"We have quite a few things planned out already. We're getting married at sunset on March 30th at South Haven Castle. Our theme will be romantic whimsical with our colors plum purple and classic blue which are mine and Jonny's favorite colors along with white and silver. We hired Arianna Matthews as our photographer; Chad David as our videographer; Kyle Knight as our officiant, Jewel Heaven Catering and Epic Floral Designs. My stylist will be Clara Hall and we hired DJ Daydream to DJ the reception." I smiled at Jonny again.
"Okay. Big question. Your dress?"
"Ah. I can't go into too much detail. It's white and it's perfect. Jonathan hasn't seen it but it's been bought. Most of the wedding attire has been bought."
"With all of that already done, what are you planning to do with your time before the wedding?"
"Well, Jonathan recently found a letter from my mother from before she died and it included a treasure map. We plan to take our wedding party to find it; make an adventure out of it." I smiled at her and stared into the camera; challenging my father and the Mystery Woman.
"That sounds amazing. We hope you find it and cannot wait for your nuptials in March. It was a pleasure talking with you both."
"Thank you."
I shook her hand; she shook Jonathan's hand and we left.