Chapter 6: From This Moment On

She lead us through our immaculate house to the back yard. Pink and blue decorations lined our covered porch.

"This is insane, you guys? I wasn't expecting this

"Although I probably should have." I laughed.
"It's your first pregnancy! We're going all out on everything!" Jordan danced around me.
"How much caffeine did you give him?" I asked.
"Enough." Gunther winked at me.
"Too much." I laughed.
Dina laid out a bunch of catering trays that we nibbled on.
Finally Dina gave Jonathan and I small glitter poppers.
"On three guys, okay?"
Jonny and I looked at each other and nodded.
"One... Two... Three..."

"They're boys!" She screamed

Jonathan grabbed ahold of me and spun me around as my phone rang.
"Yeah." I answered happily.
"Alex. I know you're at your gender reveal but The Reaper found Haley and Jack. We just found their witness protection handler near dead in his apartment. We don't know what to do. We can't find Aaron. He's not at the hospital anymore. We need you." Jennifer said.
"Where are you?" I asked touching Jonathan's arm.
"We just got back to the office."
"We'll be right there."
"Aaron's family is in danger, all hands on deck." I called out hanging up the phone.
As we drove toward the office my phone rang again.
"Yeah." I answered placing the call on speakerphone.
"He called Aaron." Penelope said.
"Patch us in on mute." I ordered.
"Jack, hug your mom for me." I heard Aaron say.
"Mama hugged me too tight." The young boy exclaimed.
"I'm sorry." His mother whispered tears in her voice.
"Why are you sad?"
"I just love you so much!" She faked a smile for her son.
"I gotta go... I'm working on a case."
I heard his little feet run out of the room.
"He's so cute. He's like a little junior G Man. I'll be right out, Jackie-boy!" A different voice called.
"Is he gone?" Aaron asked.
"Yes." She answered.
"You're so strong, Haley! You're stronger than I ever was!"
"You'll hurry, right?" She asked anxiously.
"I know you didn't sign on for this." He said emotionally.
"Neither did you."
"I'm sorry for everything."
"Promise me that you will tell him how we met, and how you used to make me laugh." She said strongly.
"Haley..."
"He needs to know that you weren't always so serious, Aaron. I want him to believe in love, because it... it is the most important thing... but you need to show him. Promise me!" She urged.
"I promised."
I gasped out loud when the gun fired. My chest tightened and I failed to fight the tears from my eyes.
By the time we arrived at the Hotchner home Aaron and Jack were sitting on the back of the ambulance.
"Auntie Alex!" Jack ran towards me.
I picked up the four year old and held him in my arms for a moment.
"Hey Jack." I sighed into his shoulder.
"Are you okay?" He asked me.
I held him tighter. This poor boy just lost his mom and he doesn't understand.
"I'm fine big guy. Why don't you go see Uncle Cam and I bet he'll show you a magic trick if you ask really nice."
"Really?" He exclaimed looking at me.
"Really." I set him down and he ran over to Cam who looked at me.
I nodded and he took him by the hand leading him away before his mother's body was brought out.
I walked over and sat next to Aaron.
"Alex..." He forced my name from his lips.
"I know, Aaron. I know." I wrapped my arm around him.
He cried into my shoulder for a long while.
"Blackburn wants us all to come in and give formal statements." Derek said walking up to us.
"No." I shook my head.
"Everyone go home. You've dealt with enough today. I'll handle her."
Aaron looked at me.
"We don't..."
"Of course you do. You'll come stay with us for now. I don't think we made it to cake." I smiled sadly.
"Oh... It was your reveal party..."
"We were needed here and we're here. You and Jack are family, Aaron. You know me. I take care of my own."
The next morning I sat on the edge of our bed before sending out our gender reveal for the world.
"It almost doesn't feel right, Jonny... To be celebrating in the wake of this tragedy." I muttered.
"You know how excited Haley was for us. She'd want us to continue as much as usual as we can."
"Jonny's right, Alex." Aaron said from the doorway.
I looked up at one of the strongest men I knew. Aaron was a rookie when they found me over 18 years ago. He did everything he could to make sure I'd be safe.
Now, he looked broken; like a shell of the man I knew. Haley was the love of his life; the mother of his son. Now, she's gone and he has to learn how to be without her.
"Jack's looking for cake." He tried to smile at me.
"I'll be right down after I send this out." I answered.
"I'd like to start out by saying two things happened yesterday that are equally affected our family. The first; a very close friend, Haley Hotchner, was murdered in her home protecting her young son. Before the reveal everyone is waiting for I'd like to ask that a moment of silence be taken for her loss and sacrifice." Snow read from my email on the local news.
"I spoke with Haley's husband as well as Jonathan and we decided to announce the genders of our babies in her honor. She would have wanted us to continue to experience our pregnancy to it's fullest. Jonathan and I are overjoyed to announce that

 Jonathan and I are overjoyed to announce that