Chapter. 37

Ethan Gray

"Florence, no! That's not how you make sushi!" I yelled at the black haired and tan skin beauty that was standing behind the kitchen island. She is making a total mess out of my beautiful kitchen by mixing all ingredients together on a bamboo mat.

"But Ethan, what are we going to eat?" She asked, pouting her plump lips as she looked at me helplessly. "I'm starving. I did not eat at the airport."

"Get dressed, we're going out." I told her as I made my way towards the kitchen island. Florence is a really great cook, but not if it comes to sushi. She totally sucks at making it. "What a waste of ingredients." I muttered as I shoved her away so I could clean the mess.

"I'm tired!" she complained as she watch me cleaning up. "Come on, make me something to eat."

"I'm not in the mood to cook today." I said tiredly as I continued to clean up the kitchen island. "Now go do what I told you to do and stop acting like a brat. I don't know why you couldn't just stay with your husband."

"And leave you here to wallow in self-pity." She scoffed rolling her eyes at me. "I think not. That girl really messed with your head." She said as she walked away.

"Hurry up, okay!" I yelled after her. I was not in the mood to wait hours and hours for her. But if it was Nicole you would not mind something inside me said. Nicole taught me that love can be a beautiful and amazing thing, but she also taught me that love can keep me up until midnight wondering what the hell I did wrong.

I miss her so much. Her smile, the way she talks, and how she's always late on every occasion. But as the saying goes. Always late but worth the wait. Nicole was worth every second of it.

The girl could shut up an entire room with her beauty and grace. A small smile made its way to my face thinking about her.

After I was done cleaning the kitchen island, Florence came downstairs in a pink sweater and black leggings. "I'm ready!" She yelled even though I was standing one feet away from her. "Let's go!" She added impatiently slipping on her shoes.

Florence and her husband Yannick flew into the states this morning. She immediately came to my house to 'cheer me up' while her husband was in a meeting. I don't know from where she heard that I was dating let alone that I'm going through a bad break up.

I think Angela must have told her or she must have read it in the gossip papers.

Florence followed me to the car and we drove silently to the sushi place. I turned the music on, because Florence was not one to talk a lot. But when she found it necessary she could rant for hours and hours and hours.

We arrived at the sushi place and searched for a table near the window. After we ordered an awkward silence followed. I haven't spoken to Florence in a very long time and now that she's sitting here I don't know what to talk about.

Plus I was not in the mood to start a conversation. I had a hundredth problems going on. Ninety nine involved Nicole.

"So...," Florence started, breaking the silence. "Are you going to tell me why you look like shit, nephew?" she emphasized the last part as she stared intently at me.

"It's still too fresh to talk about it, Flor." I warned her, but added. "Maybe another day?"

"But you will feel better when you talk about it." She told me and placed her hand on mine. "Come on, it will do you really good." She squeezed my hand softly indicating that it is okay to pour my heart out at a sushi place.

"Where do I start?" I mumbled quietly, knowing she will not give up. "I'm in love with her. Truly, madly, deeply."

"I can see." She said still holding my hand in hers. " What is the problem? The feeling is not mutual?"

"It is, but I don't know." I pulled my hand away and ruffled my hair out of frustration. "I really don't know why she wanted to take a break."

"Maybe she has her reasons?"

"What reasons?!" I whisper-yelled. I have thought about this. So many times. But I cannot see why she wanted this break. We were fine. Everything was fine. "If she would have told me maybe we could have solve it...together."

"Look, maybe she just need some time to think about it."

"About what?"

"I don't know. Everyone has their own reasons why they want to go on a break. Maybe she is just confused or maybe... I don't know. But trust me when I say this, this is all in god's plan."

I facepalmed myself. How could I forget? Florence is very religious. Everything that happens she refers to as in god's plan. She always carries a bible with her in her bag and every Sunday she can be found in the church.

"I really love her, Flor. Like actually love her. I have never loved any other girl before as much as I love her. And I don't think I will ever stop loving her."

"Then you should give it some time, Ethan." Florence said in her soothing voice. "If god really made you two for each other, you will get your happily ever after. Don't stress."

"But what if we are not made for each other?"

She frowned her eyebrows at me and pursed her lips. "Why would you even think that? The way you describe your feelings for her says enough. You two are made for each other."

"Then why am I not with her right now?"

"Ask god and he will give you your answer." She answered simply, moving a strand of hair out of her face. "Pray for your happiness, Ethan. We can go to church afterwards. Is there a church near your home?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. I never go to church."

Florence scowled at me. "If I will tell your mom about this, she will whoop your ass to the moon and back."

Usually I would laugh at this, but today my mood was just somber. It has been somber since that night Nicole told me she wanted a break.

Our food arrived and we started to eat quietly. I started to think about what Florence said. I should pray for my happiness.

Since the day Nicole arrived, I have never felt lonely or sad. Frustrated maybe, because she is so goddamn infuriating but never lonely or sad.

Does that mean she's my happiness?

---

After our early dinner I drove Florence to the nearby church. She had googled it earlier and showed me the direction on google maps.

In the church she was the one that read out of the bible while I sat down next to her with my eyes closed.

She squeezed my hand softly and I turned my head towards her. "What?" I mumbled.

She pointed with her finger on a page in her bible and said out loud: "Ephesians 4:2 said, Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."

She then looked up at me and smiled; "Nicole will come back. Sooner than you think."

Don't forget to Vote & Comment !