Chapter. 45

Ethan Gray

"Happy birthday!!"

I felt the bed shift next to me and in no time I felt someone straddling me. I opened my eyes and blinked a couple of times to get use to the sunlight. Who opened the curtains so early in the morning?

On top of me sat Nicole in nothing more than a silky top and shorts. I groaned inwardly at the sight.

"Ethan! Wake up, it's your birthday. Blow this candle before it will burn the room down."

I chuckled as I saw her holding a cake with a big candle in the middle. "Can you get off me so I can sit up straight, princess? I don't think I can blow the candle like this...or maybe you can give my candle a blow first. What do you say?"

Nicole scowled as she sat down next to me. "You're insatiable."

I chuckled and looked at the cake. It was chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. My favorite. "Did you bake this yourself?"

"Bake?" Nicole snorted as she bursted out laughing. "Are you kidding? I can barely cook water."

"That's not true."

"No, I didn't bake it. I went to the bakery early this morning." She said smiling. "Anyways, will you blow the candle, please. And make a wish."

"As you wish, princess." I laughed as I blow the candle. Nicole grinned as she pulled the candle out of the cake.

She then looked up at me, her eyes narrowed and her lips in a devilish smirk. She was up to something.

Before my brain could fully process what she was up to, I felt the cake and frosting being smashed all over my face followed by laughter.

"You little--," I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand as I watched Nicole rolling on the floor from laughter.

"HAHAHAHA, you look so sweet right now!" She roared, trying to catch her breath.

"Oh yeah?" I narrowed my eyes at her and jumped out of bed to catch her and wipe my face all over her.

Her eyes widened as she saw me getting out of bed. She hurriedly stood up and ran to the door. "Oh my god, Ethan stop-- don't..!" She yelled, still running, but I was fast enough to grab her and throw her over my shoulder.

My beautiful girlfriend squealed and hit my back, yelling at me to put her down. "Please don't go to the living room...Ethan listen to me! There are--,"

Instead of listening to her I just slapped her butt as I walked into the living room.

"SURPRI--OH MY GOD!"

My eyes widened and my mouth fell wide open in shock. In the living room were my parents, Nicole's parents, Rose, and the rest of my family from England.

I put Nicole down and she smiled sheepishly at me. "Surprise?" She squeaked, burying her face in my chest immediately. "This is so embarrassing." I heard her mutter.

"I'm sorry we interrupted, but a question. Didn't you guys had like a birthday eve sex? I tell you, that's wayyy--,"

"Florence!" My mom exclaimed, eyes bulging out of her socket. "Oh god, I don't want to hear about that." She then turned her attention towards me and smiled. "Happy birthday, my son. Nicole called us all and asked if we wanted to surprise you in the morning."

"I should have told you guys to surprise him in the evening instead of in the morning." Nicole said, finally being able to face the crowd in the living room.

"I thought so too." Dad chuckled.

I was still speechless. My whole family and Nicole's parents were in the living room. "Is this real?" I asked, still in a daze.

Nicole nudged me from the side. "It's all real. Now, will you please look a little more excited. You look like someone killed your cat."

"I'm in shock right now." I looked around the room, still trying to absorb this 'surprise.' I looked at Nicole who was softly squeezing my hand. How could I get so lucky to call her mine? She's a gem.

I couldn't have asked for a better way to wake up this morning. The love of my life shoving cake in my face and everyone close to my heart in the living room. It's perfect.

I'm so grateful for this little human next to me who made it all possible.

"Thank you, princess. You're absolutely the best!" I hugged her tightly and kissed her briefly on her lips.

"They're so cute."

"There are kids in the room!"

"Ew, did you wash your mouth uncle Ethan?"

"I don't think so Maddie. Couples love to swap germs with each other."

"Shut up, you two." I laughed as I let go of Nicole. "I'll take a shower first." I told everyone in the living room. "As you can see." I pointed at my face. "My girlfriend woke me up by shoving cake in my face."

---

After I was done showering, Nicole told me that everyone was in the kitchen ready to have breakfast.

"What did you order for breakfast?" I asked her as I watch her slip into a yellow jumpsuit. We both took a shower together that lasted longer than usual showers. Needless to say, I had cramps in my hand right now from constantly covering Nicole's mouth.

She is loud.

"Blueberry scones, muffins, cinnamon buns, and Donuts." she said, pulling her hair up in a ponytail. She then turned around to face me. "Do you think I should have ordered something more healthy?"

I shook my head. "No, it's fine. My family love sugary things. I'm pretty sure yours too."

"Yeah. My parents don't mind. Let's go, I think they have waited long enough."

"And whose fault is that?" I asked teasingly.

"Definitely you!"

After breakfast we all went to the living room. "Play something on the piano, uncle Ethan." My cousin Maddie said. She was eleven and too adorable for her own good.

"Sure." I walked over to the piano and beckoned Nicole to sit next to me. "This one's for you, princess."

A small smile appeared on her beautiful, fresh face. I love seeing her without makeup. So pure. So beautiful. God took all his time on her.

I played 'Can't help falling in love with you.' by Elvis Presley. As always, Nicole rested her head on my shoulders with her eyes closed enjoying each second of it.

For the first time, everything felt alright.

I was surrounded by the people I love, doing something that made me feel peaceful.

I looked at the beautiful girl next to me and I couldn't help but smile.

This is going to be a forever thing. We're both in here for the long run. I know what I want for the rest of my life.

The piano, her, and us.

Don't forget to Vote & Comment.