Chapter 24

Ponyboy's P.O.V

It's been 3 days since the night lil as been in the hospital they say she many not live she black out and still didn't wake up and she 'alive' is what they said just not awake and that she got 3 bad shoots one was hit her right in the chest one in the hip and the last one in the shoulder the one that hit her in the chest is what hit her badly and it could kill her they still don't know.

We told the cops everything and they still looking for Johnny they say there coming close to finding him but they say a lot of things I just hope they both okay i don't think we could make it with them, and Johnny was the only thing dally ever cared about, lil too I think I many she is a little like dal so.
Mini feels like it's her fault it was her first day being there legal guardian and one got shoot by cops the other got kidnap but it ain't her fault Johnny would still be kidnap, lil would still be close to death and very one as been crying.

Well dal been mad he beats very soc he sees, Darry I don't think Darry even cry, mini cried, Bella cried, soda cried, two-bit, Steve, jade, sam, and me, I been a wreck today is the fourth day and I had my shower and cake I went the living room to the girls are still house arrest Bella and soda looked like they just stopped crying everyone did.

"Hey pony h-how you doing?" Bella said "I been better" I said siting down in the floor cause there was no where to sit on the couch we didn't talk no one dare to I started to think what lil said that night 'stay gold ponyboy stay gold'.

What does it mean? I started to think about all the times that we shared that's when it hit me the poem I jumped up "pony?" someone asked I don't know who but I didn't care I ran to my room I looked at the poem right at the last lines 'nothing gold can stay'.

But she said 'stay gold' and this says 'nothing gold can stay' I sigh and go back to reading 'Gone with the wind' lil was reading it to I open it a note fell out that reads:

Dear gang,

I might be dead please don't cry over me. I was just so mad when they kidnap Johnny that I lost it if they do find him and he alive tell him just cause we fight don't mean I don't love him with all my heart tell him that. Ponyboy I've been thinking about it, and that poem, that guy that wrote it, he meant you're gold when you're a kid, like green. When you're a kid everything's new, dawn. It's just when you get used to everything that it's day. Like the way you dig sunsets, pony. That's gold. Keep that way, it's a good way to be. I wanted to be dead I don't mind I'm just going miss you guys, but you still have time to make something of yourself, just do one thing for me and 'stay gold'. I love you guys, just remember I wanted this.

Love you, Lilly Mac Cade.

I know it said not to cry but I couldn't help but let some tears fell I ran to the living room "hey you okay pone?" Bella asked "I found a note from lil" I said mini got up and read it out loud "she wanted to be dead for Johnny" dal said.

"But we needed her" Bella cried a bit more "I think she needed Johnny more" mini said "its cause of the damn socs" Steve said "I want go see her" I said out of no where "but pony we-" soda started but I cut him off "I want to see her" I repeated "okay let's go" Darry said "what about the girls?" two asked.

"I'll deal with the girls and we'll met you there"mini said we walked in to the truck and we made it to the hospital.
"Oh hi I was just about to call you" a cop said "for what?" Darry asked "we found Johnny Cade" he said "you did where is he?" dal asked "easy Winston" he said "we found him in an old alley beaten real bad good thing we found him when he did or he would be dead".

"Thank so much can we see him?" soda said "welcome and you can see him he doing a lot better now" he said "and Lilly Cade?" I butt in "oh I'm sorry but she 'asleep' if she wakes up she will have to go jail we can't do house arrest for her just to dangerous" he answered.