Chapter 37 - After the Sadness

"It is scheduled for demolition..." said the headmistress with a sullen smile.

"Oh no..."

(The orphanage will be demolished?!)

We sat there in silence by this shocking revelation.

(Can I do something?! What can I do?!)

While I beat myself up thinking of a way I can save the orphanage. Tegemi breaks the silence.

"If this place the orphanage closes, what will happen to the children?!"

(Tegemi...)

This is the first time I've seen her in such a somber expression.

When hearing this, the headmistress is having a hard time answering Tegemi's question.

"They'll transfer to another facility...but it'll be difficult to get everybody to the same place, eventually the children will be split up to different ones..."

"The children will be separated..."

I gaze at the children playing outside.

(Being separated not from adoption but from this place closing...)

When I think about the children's feelings...my heart crumbles.

As I do, the headmistress speaks cheerfully, to break the overly gloomy atmosphere.

"But...be strong!"

"The date that this orphanage closes hasn't been determined."

"It may be several months hence, or even years."

"I-I see..." said Tegemi with a dim light of hope shone in her face.

"Yes, for a while..."

"While it last we may find a way for the children to stay together."

The headmistress encourages us, but Tegemi and Yomiko's expression hasn't clear up.

(I have to do something...)

Gazing at the pair in concern...finally, the headmistress murmurs.

"I'm sorry, for telling you so suddenly."

"But, since you have all been taking of the kids, I wanted to let you know."

"You don't need to apologize headmistress, thank you for telling us." Said Yomiko. With a sullen smile.

And then they cast down their eyes with sadness...

(I definitely need to do something...)

(I'll definitely won't allow this place to close down, I've done it before! I'll definitely won't allow it, and I don't need to tell them that I'll do something about this.)

On the way home...

Tegemi and Yomiko are seating on the backseat silently while were driving home.

I speak up, timidly.

"Umm, both of you, about the orphanage..."

"About that Mina." said Tegemi perked up.

"Huh?"

"You said something about some loan sharks when you asked the headmistress if they're involved what do you mean by that?"

"Yeah, I've been meaning to ask you that as well,"

(Well it seems the cats out of the bag might as well tell them.)

"I...uh, let's just say the organization that I belong to help pay-up the orphanage depths at that time." (I can't possibly tell them about the Oni gang.)